Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone in Spain help me please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 Sep 2012 20:01

If so may I send you a PM please, I am looking for an old friend, not family. :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Sep 2012 09:35

There are a couple of members who live in Spain who have posted on/created the following threads.

Spanish Eyes
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1173289

Uzziinsunshine
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1308086

There are also a couple who live on Spanish Islands - I think Wisechild is one as is Tenerife Sun
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1308931

Have you tried posting on Living Relatives? If the friend is male, or you know a husband's name, try googling Spanish Phone Books.

wisechild

wisechild Report 7 Sep 2012 12:57

Do you know where in Spain you need to look?
If not, it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Many expats live in remote places away from the Costas & the islands.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 7 Sep 2012 13:30

She is spanish, lived is uk for a 20 ish years and I know she intended to go back to Spain, I have her Maiden names and 2 married names (first Husband now deceased), when single she lived in or near Jerez. May I send you what other info I have via pm, if you do not want to persue it I fully understand. :-)

wisechild

wisechild Report 7 Sep 2012 13:39

Yes, by all means send me the info, but I live in the Balearics which is governed by Catalonia. Jerez is in Andalucia, on the mainland.
Each autonomous region of Spain is self governed. There are no general records for the whole country like there are in England.
If your friend is Spanish, she will almost certainly have reverted to her birth name when she returned, as women don´t take their husband´s name when they marry. My husband is Spanish, but I´m still legally known by my English ex husband´s surname as I didn´t revert to my maiden name when I divorced.
Send me what you know & I´ll see if I can think of a way to help.
Marion

wisechild

wisechild Report 7 Sep 2012 14:18

Have answered a pm from Sue, but not holding out much hope.
Have now found 2 sons from 1st marriage. have pmd details to Sue & she´s going to see if she can track them down in the hope that they know where her friend is.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Sep 2012 17:04

I have thanked Wisechild for her help, but as she said it is like a needle in a hay stack, in UK for her children and over there for her, so I am calling a halt for the time being. :-(

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 9 Sep 2012 20:09

I live in Spain (Catalunya) and would like to be able to help. PM me if you wish. The Spanish Social security office may be able to help. I'd need your friends full married name...that would be her forename, fathers surname and mothers surname, her age and any other info..i.e. her birth place.

Logically the authorities are not keen on giving out info but it's worth a try. Have you tried Facebook?

BTW "wisechild" the Balearics are a separate autonomous region and not part of Catalunya though there are very strong cultural links..not a critiscism, just a comment.

wisechild

wisechild Report 10 Sep 2012 14:35

Try telling the locals that Malcolm.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 10 Sep 2012 16:30

LOL. I know what you mean. Try telling them ANYTHING!

wisechild

wisechild Report 10 Sep 2012 16:34

Indeed Malcolm. I´m married to one & if he says something is black & I agree with him, he says it´s not, it´s white. :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S