Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Second Marriages on tree query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 10 Sep 2012 16:47

Hi all,
new member, first posting.
Could someone please help me with two queries:

Second marriage partners instead of being linked with double lines are left detatched and floating on one side. To me this just looks wrong. Is there any way I can get them to attach to each other?

Also do other members have problems with their clipboard after a while just disappearing on them. Is this a software glitch or what? Cleared out the cash etc. but this does not bring it back.

Thanks folks,
Jim

:-)

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 10 Sep 2012 17:31

Hi Jim

Welcome to the boards. I think that maybe this is just another glitch in GR's new tree! I have several couples with children who all tied together nicely on the old style tree don't they now. As an example Jane and John smith have two children joined to them but if I look at, say child A he is only joined to his mother with father unknown and child B is attached to his father, mother unknown. One such family was my husband, his sister and their parents and in trying to put it right I made it worse! It also messes up all the missing parents descendants. I have told G R but as of now I haven't had a reply. You could try explaining your problem to the GR team who maybe able to help you.

I have also had the 'floating' ancestor who seems to come and go.

Wendy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Sep 2012 22:41

First posting?

Not according to your profile

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Sep 2012 08:48

First 'request' maybe............

James

James Report 13 Sep 2012 19:17

Hi Wendy - thank you for YOUR helpful reply.

For the other rude unhelpful person............

This is Jim's wife. This is NOT my first post. It is me who has been posting and as I am Jim's wife and Jim is a Platinum member I am entitled to do so............

If you can't be helpful................................

Be quiet. :-P

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 13 Sep 2012 20:55

Hi JIms wife. ... Sorry I couldn't help more. Just reading the boards tells me that there are loads of problems still with the new tree.

Wendy

James

James Report 14 Sep 2012 21:40

Hi Wendy (Jim's wife Yvonne here lol)

Thanks so much for your help - we are only just starting off on this mission - so any help we can get is always appreciated.

Thanks for being there. Sorry my last posting was a bit terse but that other person really made me spit my dummy out ha ha ha.

Happy hunting

Yvonne x :-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 14 Sep 2012 22:40

Hello Yvonne

Welcome to the boards. As you are just starting may I strongly recommend, if you aren't already doing so, that you build your tree offline and then Gedcom it up to Genes every so often. As you have already noticed, there are glitches in Genes' new tree, and by having your master version on your computer means that you are less likely to lose all your hard work.

Reggie - I don't know if you've worked out how GR count the posts, but I haven't. The figures don't seem to make sense at all.
In your case you appear to have made about 10 posts every day since you joined!!

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 15 Sep 2012 07:38

Andysmum...that sounds like a solution to my problems. Can anyone recommend an offline storage programme? If this is aganst Forum rules please PM me. Thanks.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 15 Sep 2012 09:25

I use Family Tree Maker which very often has a 6 months free Ancestry membership with it. I waited until the newest version was due out and then bought the version before it at a cheaper rate.

Wendy

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 15 Sep 2012 15:15

Sounds good Tenerife Sun. I'll recommend you for an honorary Scotsperson membership, awarded for conspicuous thrift!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 15 Sep 2012 15:45

I use FTM as well, although it is an older version. There are several to choose from and all have pros and cons. Many people seem to like the one they tried first. There are some that have free trials - put family tree software into Google and try some of them out.

The other advantage of Gedcom, which I haven't actually seen mentioned, is that it overrides some of Genes' quirks eg if you enter a relation on Genes you have to put something in the birth details boxes. If you have no idea where someone was born a Gedcom will let you leave the box blank, so long as you don't try and amend that particular person on Genes. (I had better admit, before I get told off, that I haven't done any Gedcoms since the new tree became permanent, so things may be different)

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 15 Sep 2012 19:51

Thanks Andysmum I don't mind spending a few quid on something but I like to have a recommendation from a user. That very helpful. Saludos. Malc,

Sorry James, I seem to have hijacked your thread. ;-(