Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hope Calvinistic Methodist Church, Rev John Davies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 10 Sep 2012 21:23

I am trying to find out infornation about my family, the information I have is that a distant relative was Rees Davies born 1805 and died 1891, he was a Calvinistic minister. One of his sons was David Davies who is my relative, and another son was John Davies.
Rev John Davies and his wife Emily (I believe that her maiden name was Giblett).They are buried at Hope Church, Pandy near Abergavenny. I have visited there. There are two plaques inside the church, dedicated to John and Emily.
John Davies was born in Myddfai 1843, (gravestone states born 20/06/1843 and died 07/02/1917.
Emily (possibly Giblett) was born in Somerset 1850, (gravestone states born 10/08/1850 and died 04/04/1912.
In the 1891 census it states that they were living at Ty Newydd which is opposite the church and I have visited this property and spoke to the new owners. The 1891 census states that John Davies (head) was 46 and a presbyterian minister and born Mothvey Carmarthen (Mothvey I have been told is actually Myddfai). Emily Davies (wife) was 40 and was born in Milton Somerset. They had two daughters Gladys who was 6 and Gwendoline who was 4, although I am having difficulty tracing them.
On the plaque in the church about Emily, it states "also in loving memory of her daughter Gladys, wife of Ben Elystan Price. Died 18/01/1922 aged 36 at Sydney Australia.
Is anyone related?
The 1891, 1901 and 1911 census' show that John and Emily were living at Ty Newydd, so for a minimal of 20 years they lived at this house. Is there a way of tracing their lives there as they must have been an active part in the community?
Can anyone shed any light on how I trace Australian records?
:-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 10 Sep 2012 23:51

There seems to be quite a lot about Lt Ben Elystan-Price. He lived in Pymble and seems to have made some money and did something with Aberystwyth Library in about 1930. He wass still in NSW in 1960.

It says on Google that his brother was Rev Watcyn Meredith Price. Watcyn died 13 Nov 1947 of Anwylfan, St Martins Road, Caerphilly, clerk. Aged 61 at death. Left over £2k in will - proven by Dilys Mair Watcyn Price, spinster and Ursel Granville Williams, civil servant.

In C1901, Watcyn was living with his aunt Elizabeth COOK, 51, born Llangunllo (?), Cardiganshire. He was a house painter, aged 14, born Bedlinog.

In C1911, he was 24, single, a student at Trefecca, Talgarth - which I believe was a Calvinistic Methodist college.

It is clear to me that much of this family were leaders of the Welsh CM movement. Methodist records are kept in Manchester University (John Rylands Library) but think you will get obituaries of these men from the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth and they may also know about Ben. And it will all be in Welsh, so you will possibly need them to send you a translated copy.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 11 Sep 2012 08:29

Hello Martin,

As John as pointed out, it always pay to Google for information on relatives as you never know just what may crop up.

As for Australian records, it would be helpful if you altered your heading slightly and included the word 'Australia' in it.

This will, hopefully, catch the eye of the our Australian helpers who have great experience with the records out there.

Hope this helps. Cx.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 11 Sep 2012 09:27

Martin. Agree with Cynthia. Quite a complicate question, and I hope I have gone some way to unravelling it.

It may be better to start a couple of new threads. I hope I have understood what you are trying to find out. You are looking for an obituary of Ben Elystan-Price who was born about 1888 in Glamorgan, an army officer in WW1 and who lived in NSW till after 1960 and appears to have been quite a successful man. And obituary of his first wife Gladys nee DAVIES born c 1885 in Penbydwl hamlet of Lanfihangel Crocorney parish in Monmouthshire who died in 1922 in Pymble suburb of Sydney. That will give you an idea if there were any children from this first marriage, any subsequent marriage and any subsequent children.

Then you are looking for family of Gladys's sister Gwendoline DAVIES born c 1887 in Penbydwl hamlet near Pandy, Llanfihangel Crucorney, Mon - and brought up in Ty Newydd, Pandy.

And although brother of Ben Elystan Price, Rev Watcyn Meredith Price, CM Minister of Caerphilly, is not of direct interest, I must say he looks like an interesting man. Plus, I can find nothing about Ben in C1891, C1901 and C1911. And nothing about brother Watcyn in C1891. So bit of a mystery there. No idea who parenst might have been, but appear to have been in Bedlonog area (somewhere near Bargoed and not far north of Caerphilly)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 11 Sep 2012 10:12

From 1901 Kelly’s

"LLANVIHANGEL-CRUCORNEY, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 4 miles N.E. of Abergavenny, its post town. It is a station on the West-Midland railway. The parish is situated at the foot of Skirrid-Fawr, and watered by the river Monnow. The hamlet of Penbiddle is included in the parish.

There are chapels for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists here and at Pandy, 2 miles north of the borders of Herefordshire.

PEN-BIDDLE is a hamlet in Llanvihangel Crucorney parish, half a mile south from Pandy station.

Davies Rev. John (Calvinistic Methodist)

Adeline

Adeline Report 11 Sep 2012 11:56

Sydney Morning Herald 28 July 1949:

PRICE -The Funeral of the late BENJAMIN ELYSTAN PRICE of Redwood Chatswood will leave the Central Methodist Church Pacific Highwav Chatswood Tomorrow (Frldav) after service commencing at 1 30 p m tor the Field of Mars Cemetery

For an obituary do a search at:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

His WW1 enlistment papers (43 pages) are online at:

http://mappingouranzacs.naa.gov.au/details-permalink.aspx?barcode_no=8020386

Gladys Price funeral notice - The Sydney Morning Herald 19 Jan 1922:

The Friends of Mr. BEN ELYSTAN PRICE are invited to attend the funeral of his late beloved wife Gladys; to leave the residence Anwylfan, Livingstone Avenue, Pymble, this day (Thursday) at 1 o'clock, for Field of Mars Cemetery.

Marriage certificate for Ben and Gladys (1919) can be ordered here:

www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=marriages

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 11 Sep 2012 20:16

Great info, Adeline.

No comment from OP yet. But I am interested in this family. Benjamin, according tio army records, was born 14 Feb 1880 in Bedlinog, parish of Gelli Gaer.

Think this may be the family in C1891 in High St, Gelligaer:
Thomas PRICE, 50, coalminer, b Llanwrtyd, BRE
Jane, wife, 35, b Llangeitho, CARD
William, son, 13
Benjamin, son, 11,
Mary A C, 8
Watkin, 4
John Rees, son, 1
All children born Gelligaer. All family Welsh speaking.

Not quite the elevated family I was expecting Lt Ben and Rev Watcyn to come from. But lot of coal miners were very committed and able Deacons of the local CM chapels. And the tradition was to educate your children well and push them on in life.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 11 Sep 2012 20:48

Martin,

I would just like to add that starting new threads relating to the same family wouldn't be helpful at all.

Anyone trying to help you needs all the information on one thread so that they get a complete picture.

I have sent Martin one of my messages to help him find his thread again. Cx.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 12 Sep 2012 08:56

Cynthia Not sure which direction Martin wants to go with his research. It looks like he may have a link to NSW and Caerphilly as well as this strong Welsh Calvinistic Methodist link.

I just thought it might get quite a difficult thread to follow if we tried to combine all of those, but bow to your experience. Hopefully get a response from Martin that confirms or denies we are on right road :-D :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Sep 2012 13:34

John, as with other sites, it's best to try and stick to one thread per family as it makes it easier to see how the family interlink with each other.

Several threads mean that helpers are flicking between threads and, apart from missing something, they may spend ages searching for a record only to find that someone had already spotted it.

Must check to see if Martin has opened my message......

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Sep 2012 13:45

Just checked......Martin hasn't opened my message as yet..... :-(

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 12 Sep 2012 21:39

Cynthia This seems to often happen. An OP, plenty of replies from us, and no reply from Martin. Suppose patience is a virtue :-( :-(

If I post a new thread, I must admit I check an hour after I have posted and then at least twice a day after that. It is now over 2 days since opening post. :-( :-S

jax

jax Report 12 Sep 2012 21:49

John

Martin only posted this two days ago....there maybe many reasons why he has not returned.

He is not completely new to the boards so he may know how to find his way back eventually when he is ready...if not Cyntha will have given good instructions.

I wonder how many of the thousands of threads I personally have helped on has the OP never returned?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Sep 2012 21:57

That's why I send so many messages out John. According to a message I received from GR when they did their last lot of changes earlier this year, I have the largest mailbox on the site. It was in the region of 30,000 and I have been whittling it down gradually.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 12 Sep 2012 21:58

Jax Martin only has 10 posts in 18 months as member. Was assuming he was a newbie to boards.

When I started doing family history, in 1981, there were no computers really. I used to go to a Mormon Family History Centre locally and check the IGI on their funny little computers, with the help of Mormon staff - it was so exciting and new. Anf searching through micro fish (fiche) and the local County Archives. And if you wrote to someone, it could be 6 months before you got a reply.

Now 2 days seems like an awful long wait to me :-( :-( :-(

jax

jax Report 12 Sep 2012 22:05

I do know how many posts he has made....so he has either started 10 threads and not returned to any or he has made a couple and returned to all....does it really matter?

I have had people return and thank me two years after posting...you cant force them to return

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Sep 2012 00:38

and I do hope Martin heeds Cynthia's words, and does not start separate threads for each member of the family!

he will get much less gentle reminders from some of the other helpers!

Please ...... ..

..... Martin, keep to this one thread. You will get much more help, and more thorough help if you do so.

sylvia

Martin

Martin Report 13 Sep 2012 01:02

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, and sorry for the delay in replying.
To be honest, I havent been on GR much lately, as I was gathering the information I have compiled in written format to see where i have gaps in my family and where I need to research more.
I am mainly looking for John's side of the family, as he's the brother of my distant relative. But when I visited the Hope Chapel in Pandy and seen the plaques on the walls, it made me interested in John and Emily.
I didnt realise that I would have so many replies, I will keep looking
Thanks
Martin
:-D