Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mesopotamia Expeditionary Force WW1 & Gallipoli

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Sep 2012 21:44

Sites which may be of interest:

Have just been looking at my grandmother's cousins military records, he died in Egypt in 1915. He left Britain earlier that year on HMT Huntsgreen, googling that brought up a photo of the ship which was also used to carry wounded from , and troops to, Gallipoli

http://www.gallipoli-association.org/forum/default.asp

and also, interesting info here on the MET, including names of those mentioned in despatches.

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritishLGDispatchesArmy1918-20.htm

Joy

Joy Report 13 Sep 2012 21:58

Thank you, Rose.

A great-uncle was in Gallipoli; and a cousin of my Mother was killed in action there.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Sep 2012 22:28

Joy it still amazes me what can be found online by googling :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Sep 2012 04:39

Thanks RR

My grandfather was in "Mesopotamia" ..................... in the area that is now modern Iraq.

I have his service records, and so many of the place names were familiar to me .......... from the Iraq wars. For example, he was in Basra.

One thing does puzzle me .......... grandfather apparently went by ship from Bombay, India, to Iraq ................... but there is no record of him leaving the UK for India :-S

syvlvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Sep 2012 07:00

just spent ages finding stuff .....

.................... including a photo of the steamship that took grandfather from Basrah back to the UK.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 14 Sep 2012 08:05

Thank you Rose. My grandfather was at Gallipoli and was mentioned in Despatches. Off to have a look. :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Sep 2012 10:57

I just realised, it says on his records 'apparent age 20', unlike my other relatives where the actual DOB was written in.

Just rechecked his birth and he was just on or perhaps a month short of 17 when he enlisted and died 8 months later, of meningitis. :-( The same age as my son, which brings it home forcefully, such a young boy dying so far from home.

Joy

Joy Report 16 Sep 2012 09:20

"Joy it still amazes me what can be found online by googling"

- indeed; for the first time, I have seen a photo of my Mother's cousin :)