Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mothers name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 15 Sep 2012 12:09

hi can anyone tell me if i can view a birth record that gives the mothers first name as well as her maiden name anwhere please?
thanks
pat

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Sep 2012 12:24

No without buying the cert

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Sep 2012 12:25

Unless you are going to download a birth cert from scotlandspeople

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 Sep 2012 12:44

If after Sept 1911 you could look for the child on the index that will give the mothers maiden name, then you could look for the marriage using just both husbands surname and her maiden name, that should give you her full name,

It's not 100% you would still need the birth cert to confirm the details

Roy

Patricia

Patricia Report 15 Sep 2012 12:57

thanks porkie,and glitter
for your replys, the reason i asked this was because i remember being told by an aunt many years ago, that her (and my mothers) mother had i think 5 boys who died i am assuming not long after being born one lived till he was around two or three, but on searching the bmd i came across quite a few births with my grandmothers surname and married name.
also the children who lived (my mothers sisters) so i am confussed as before my mum died i asked her about this but she said her mother only had 2 children who died.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Sep 2012 13:24

People do make up stories........or exaggerate for dramatic effect.

Looking for births is not necessarily the right way to approach this.

Start by looking for infant deaths in the area, and time-scale......then cross-refer with births

If you'd like extra eyes.....give some details

The mother's first name will be on baptism records.........

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Sep 2012 13:26

If you go through the possible births and then look for deaths in those names you might be able to work out who was most 'likely' to have been the children...and if there are other families with same surnames in the area you may be able to eliminate them by seeing if they later married.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 Sep 2012 15:20

As Reggie said it's best to start by looking for infant deaths in the area, and time-scale, then cross-refer with births,

If you try looking for births first then finding a relevant death could take for ever depending on how common the surname was, plus less children died young than where born so much easier that way round

Roy

Patricia

Patricia Report 16 Sep 2012 11:10

thanks for your replies, i dont know any forenames, firstly i searched the bmds for my grandmothers marriage ( 1912) then i put in a search for births from 1912 to 1930 with the surname hughes and it brought up a list of names with that surname they all also had the mothers maiden name of maher. amongst the list
was ellen , mary and my mothers name josephine
pat.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 16 Sep 2012 15:39

for area info

Births Sep 1928 (>99%)
Hughes Josephine Maher W.Derby 8b 1050

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1912
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
HUGHES Thomas MAHER Mary C West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_WD/288/36

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 16 Sep 2012 18:09

posibles????????????

William T born 1913 d 1914

Thomas b 1916 d 1917

there are others which I am sure you can find yourself (more satisfying) but I see your problem as there is obviously more than one Hughes/Maher family in West Derby

Patricia

Patricia Report 18 Sep 2012 15:59

thanks everyone for your replies i will now do as you said

pat