Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inquest into a Death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 22 Sep 2012 19:49

I have the death certificate of my gg grandfather Henry Stirrup, which says he died aged 71 on 2nd January of heart failure, due to bronchitis, something else I cant read and natural causes. It says that an inquest was held on January 4th 1924.

Just wondered if anyone knew why an inquest would have been held and where can I find out more information.

Thanks for any help.

Marilyn

Penny

Penny Report 22 Sep 2012 19:58

for the same reasons as an inquest would be held today.Not been see by aDR for whatever the time span is

Robert

Robert Report 22 Sep 2012 20:37

an inquest is held into any death were a doctor was not in attendance when that person died, to find out you would need to contact the local coroner office were the inquest was held. they may not have the records, as some offices destroy the records after 15 years. if they still have the records the hundred year rule may apply. it may be worth you checking the local press were the death happened

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 22 Sep 2012 20:48

Thanks both of you, I was thinking of newspaper maybe, can I view them online anywhere, I am thinking maybe Manchester Evening News, as they lived in the Manchester area, Bradford, Beswick,

jeannie

jeannie Report 22 Sep 2012 21:19

Join the Lancashire library
Great online access to newspapers

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries/borrower/application_form.asp

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 22 Sep 2012 23:02

Lancashire libraries only has 19th century newspaper so 1924 too late

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Sep 2012 01:30

and it seems that you can no longer join the Lancashire Libraries UNLESS you live in Lancashire.

try this site ..................... it is pay per view, but you can do a free search ..................

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 23 Sep 2012 08:49

I keep plugging this but it really is worth a listen....

Coroners’ Inquests

http://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php/coroners-inquests/

Chris

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 23 Sep 2012 16:19

Re Lancashire Libraries, I tried to apply (From Spain) less than a week ago and they stated that U.K. residents only may apply ..per the terms and conditions on their website. (someone on GR Community suggested this was not so hence I gave it a try) I'd be surprised if they've narrowed it down to Lancashire only in that time.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Sep 2012 16:35

Their website does still say anyone in the UK
http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/atoz/a_to_z/service.asp?u_id=938&tab=1

However, have just checked the BNA and there's nothing coming up in the papers for that time. If there were no unusual circumstances (e.g. accident or foul play) then I'm not sure that an inquest would be reported on.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 23 Sep 2012 16:47

Thanks for all your information, Chris I am listening to this now, very interesting.

I will search the papers when I next visit Manchester Library

Thanks

Marilyn

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 25 Sep 2012 22:49

Malcolm I joined from Tenerife about a year okay and they sent me a log on number I thought I'd lost this number and applied again and was told it was Uak residents only. Luckily I have now found the number so I can use it again now. So I guess they have changed the terms and conditions at some point.