Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Births/deaths

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lynda

lynda Report 27 Sep 2012 00:31

Is there a way on GR where it shows the exact date of birth or would I need to go on another site, if so is there one thats free

jax

jax Report 27 Sep 2012 00:39

No you need to purchase the cert

Or you may find a baptism on here or another site depending on when and where

What dates are you after?

lynda

lynda Report 27 Sep 2012 00:44

Not looking for any in particular, just thought it would make searching easier :-D

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Sep 2012 03:16

You can't see the actual cert without purchasing it - all you can see is what's in some index. However, in 1969q2, they started asking for exact birthdate on death regos, and this info appears in the GRO index. Prior to that, they just asked for age at death, and this info (in completed years) appears in the GRO index for 1866q1 - 1969q1.

The GRO index is available on GR - I don't know abt GR, but you can do a free search using d.o.b. on Ancestry - you'll get a result like

Name Estimated Birth Year Date of Registration Registration district County View Image Order Record
Lewis Brian Jones year info 1969 city Sussex

Wikipedia says:
Lewis Brian Hopkins Jones (28 February 1942 – 3 July 1969) was an English musician and a founder member of The Rolling Stones.

OK - so you won't get full index details without a sub, but you will get a name and and the year of rego to help find him on GR.

Incidentally, from experience, people rarely misstate their birthday, although they may shade the year a bit.

lynda

lynda Report 27 Sep 2012 10:41

Thanks for info , I'm very new to all this and I'm very grateful for any info other members can give me. :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 27 Sep 2012 11:12

You can also try FreeBMD - this is a useful tool. And it being updated regularly, I think they are well into the 1950's.