Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Technical help please with copying and pasting.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mike *

Mike * Report 28 Sep 2012 12:56

Not sure if this is right board to post this on but would welcome some advice on how to copy and paste records without it coming out like a long stream when pasted..
This only happens when copying census records from the new familysearch site.

for instance ...

John Dow

M

London Walworth, London, Middlesex, England

wife

Emily Dow

F

Camberwell, Surrey, England

daughter

Emily Dow

F

Walworth, Surrey, England

son

Frederick Dow

M

son

James Dow

M

daughter

Selina Dow

F

daughter

Elizabeth Dow

F

son

George Dow

M

All other records copied from freebmd etc have no problem

Andrew

Andrew Report 28 Sep 2012 13:00

Are you using Internet Explorer?

If so try this.

At the top of the page where the website address is. Next to this should be a little icon that looks like a torn sheet of paper. Click this ans it should turn blue. Do this on any websites you use regulaerly. Copy and paste should then work OK.

Hope this helps

Andy

Mike *

Mike * Report 28 Sep 2012 15:51

Thanks for replying Andrew.
Found the torn paper symbol but when using family search the symbol turns to a padlock .
How do I unlock it ?

Kense

Kense Report 28 Sep 2012 16:38

The padlock symbol is nothing to do with Compatibility View. I think it appears because the site is encrypted.

Family Search page doesn't have Compatibility View as an option because the browser recognises it as fully compatible.

There are problems with some Genes pages if you have Compatibility View set, so it depends what you do most often as to whether you use it nor not.

Other sites have a Printer Friendly setting when you are viewing records. If you set that before copying then the paste will work normally. I don't think Family Search has such a setting.

jax

jax Report 28 Sep 2012 16:39

I had the same thing happen Mike

Got a new laptop and had to click on the torn paper thingy and family search was ok....then last week when I tried to copy and Paste it was like yours with the padlock...so I gave up :-D

jax

jax Report 28 Sep 2012 17:02

Ken

So why was it ok last week....but not now?

Kense

Kense Report 28 Sep 2012 18:53

I don't know, possibly the update GR did changed something involving Compatibility View. I am assuming the paste is going into a reply box on GR.

What you can do is to copy from Family Search into a Word document. Then reselect the text (which is in the form of a table) and copy it, then paste it into the GR box.

jax

jax Report 28 Sep 2012 19:08

In that case I will not bother.....Because I have no interest in messing around when they can find it themselves if given the link

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 28 Sep 2012 20:46

Mike*

Glad its not just me...!!!

The problem developed after they messed around with this site ...I contacted GR regarding the issue (back in July...!!!) after a number of useless replies..including Compatability..change screen etc..(Right hand didnt know what left hand was typing)...eventually it was acknowledged there was a Problem..and it was being passed on to Tech Team to resolve...in the meantime "please be patient"...
Well its still not resolved and my patience wore out weeks ago.

I despair......

Have sent some you a PM

Kense

Kense Report 28 Sep 2012 21:07

The problem predated the site changes as can be seen in this thread about copying results from Ancestry.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1277555

Mike *

Mike * Report 28 Sep 2012 21:16

So I'm not alone.
Was beginning to feel like a technophobe.
So frustrating when it used to work perfectly.
I'm sick of having to delete all the spaces to compact the text.

KenSE - I'll try the copying into word but not holding my breath !
As Jax says, we shouldn't have to bother.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Sep 2012 05:26

Mike

just out of interest

I use Firefox, and have no problems with C&P'ing, from any site.

sylvia

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Sep 2012 09:39

No problem C&P from family search directly to this site

John Smith
birth year: 1850
birthplace: Lew, Oxfordshire, England
relationship to head of household: Son
marital condition: Single
profession/occupation: Farmer
address: Farm House
census place: Lew, Oxfordshire, England
disability:
record type: Household
family history library film: 1341365
the national archives reference: RG11
piece/folio: 1514 / 109
page number: 12

But if I were to C&P the same into a word doc, it comes out as

John Smith age: 31 gender: Male birth year: 1850 birthplace: Lew, Oxfordshire, England relationship to head of household: Son marital condition: Single profession/occupation: Farmer address: Farm House census place: Lew, Oxfordshire, England disability: record type: Household family history library film: 1341365 the national archives reference: RG11 piece/folio: 1514 / 109 page number: 12

Quite the opposite problem to Mike* !

Kense

Kense Report 29 Sep 2012 10:25

I presume you are using the COPY button +++DetEcTive+++ , and I think the OP is selecting an area of text on the web page and using CTRL c.

So the best solution is to do as +++DetEcTive+++ has done and edit off any unrequired text.

Mike *

Mike * Report 29 Sep 2012 10:41

Yes,strangley I can copy the bulk of the census text from familysearch using the Copy button but it doesn't include the list of names and ages etc of the household.
This has to be copied separately and comes out like a stream.

I'll try Firefox. Thanks for the advice.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Sep 2012 17:18

I have no problems like that since using Google Chrome

Kense

Kense Report 29 Sep 2012 20:57

Of course if GR messages were in rtf we could have nice tabulated data rather than the jumble that the usual c&p of census data produces.