Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Records Information

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 2 Oct 2012 13:13

Can anyone tell me what information parish records actually hold? Does a marriage record have the people who are getting married parents' names on there. Having never seen one I don't know what is on it.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Oct 2012 13:59

If you mean marriage records from before 1837 when registration began then usually they do not have the father's names on them.

Usually just date and place of marriage, names of the couple, occupation of couple (sometimes only of the groom) address (sometimes just the parish), and witnesses names.

Kath. x

Kense

Kense Report 2 Oct 2012 14:30

From 1755 the information is as Kath says. It is usually on a form and the couple and the witnesses sign their names (if they could). It also says whether the marriage was by banns or licence.

From 1837 the parish register contains the same information as certificates, again usually with real signatures.

Before 1755 you usually only get the couples' names and the date.

I should add that I am referring to the actual images of the register and not the transcriptions which are not always complete.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Oct 2012 21:18

Might depend on date and location

Some London marriages do have the full information in 1836 on Ancestry

mgnv

mgnv Report 3 Oct 2012 19:28

Check out:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1®ion=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND

There are some collections of images there - Greater Manchester, Cornwall, Diocese of Durham, etc - that way you can see for yourself - it varies quite a bit pre-1813, then it gets more standardized with Lord Rose's pre-printed registers.

Daniel

Daniel Report 4 Oct 2012 13:28

Thanks, this helps, I have been looking through some parish records on ancestry. although i am struggling to find the one that i actually need, typical.