Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Find back copies of The Cornish Guardian?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elton

Elton Report 4 Oct 2012 22:01

Not sure if this is the right board - if not can somebody point me in the right direction?

I once saw a copy of the Cornish Guardian (Bodmin library in the mid 1980's) which featured, to my surprise, a wedding photo of my parents marriage 09.06.1962. No other photos exist.

Can anybody suggest where I might find a back issue of the paper?

Many thanks

Elton

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 4 Oct 2012 22:29

Not sure about online sources, but the nearest main library should still have copies - probably on microfiche or similar.

ADDED this site seems to have that newspaper available to buy, or it might be the paper itself, not quite sure!!:

http://www.mediauk.com/newspapers/21130/cornish-guardian

Address
Harmsworth House Lemon Quay Truro
Cornwall
TR1 2LP
Map

Main:
(01872) 271451

Jan

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 4 Oct 2012 22:36

As the paper is still in existence you could try contacting them. If they hold back numbers (which many newspaper publishers do) they would probably be willing to sell you a copy of the photo.

Address:Cornish Guardian
1 Town Arms Yard
Town Arms Passage
BODMIN
PL31 2JQ

Tel:01208 74528

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 4 Oct 2012 22:37

Have a look here

http://www.intocornwall.com/features/genealogy.asp

The Cornwall Centre in Redruth and The Cornwall Library Service contains an archive of newspapers and periodicals dating from as early as 1737.

Titles held include:
•Camborne Redruth Packet from 1955 onwards Cornish & Devon Post from 1877 to date
•Cornish Echo (formerly Falmouth & Penryn Weekly Times) 1895 to 1952 Cornish Guardian 1901 to date*************
•Cornish Post and Mining News 1889 to 1944
•Cornish Telegraph 1851 to 1915

You will need to contact them, dont think they are online

George

Elton

Elton Report 5 Oct 2012 17:34

Many thanks to everybody for your wise advice - I endeavour to track the photo down through the information you have provided & hopefully be able add a much needed photo to my research!

Happy hunting everybody & many thanks again!

Elton, in a very wet Devon!