Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral registers/rolls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 13 Oct 2012 21:04

Is there any way to trace a person through the electoral registers/rolls by name. I've been searching the registers in my local library for family members from the 1920s onwards but it seems that unless I know an address, there's no way of tracking them down short of reading every single entry in every single register. It's very frustrating when I know names but have no idea of addresses where they may have been living at the time.

And if there's no way I can do it through the registers, does anyone know of a way I can trace these people by name?

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 13 Oct 2012 22:23

Prior to 2002 when copies of ER's were first sold to commercial organisations, in most cases you could only search ER's by address not name. The commercial organisations such as 192.com either transcribe or digitise the ER's they buy so that they can be searched by name as well as address.

Things like birth, marriage and death certificates show addresses which might help you when looking at old electoral registers.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Oct 2012 22:28

Some library family archive departments have digitised electoral rolls and they can be searched by name. I think Birmingham may be one, and I know Barrow-in-Furness has, because I followed my great grandfather's changes of address over several years.

If the family was fairly well off, they might have had a telephone - local libraries often have old directories.

If they were self-employed, try trade directories.

Local newspapers can be useful

and don't forget GOOGLE!

Good luck.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Oct 2012 22:49

Only people eligible to vote......and registered to do so......will appear on Electoral Rolls.

Is there a reason for wishing to know where the people lived?

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 14 Oct 2012 10:33

Reggie - I was looking for particular names and addresses to trace family movement over the years. It's a frustrating but fascinating hunt.