Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

needing some help please, anyone,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kwillis

kwillis Report 14 Oct 2012 20:17

hello there i'm new to all this, i don't know why but i cant find my nans birth records, i know all her date of birth and year of marriage, i don't understand what i'm doing wrong...Also anyone know how i can find out any info on a hit and run death back in chepstow in 1962...it was my nan and she was 26 at the time...

sorry to be a pain any infor be very grateful :-)

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 14 Oct 2012 20:52

Welcome Kwillis.

Might sound daft but are you sure that you have the correct birth surname for your nan?

As for the incident. You might have some luck in the local newspapers of the time.

As you've put this on Genealogy Chat and not Finding Ancestors, why don't you pm me your nan's details and I will see if I can find what you've not been able to.

I will be here for a few minutes yet. In case you don't know how to send a message to me, hover over the bit on the left to the side of this text, and a 'send message' box will appear.

Jill

jansmith

jansmith Report 14 Oct 2012 22:36

Have you tried searching on this free site
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ this gives index details ,if you want to get certs then using this info go to http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Oct 2012 23:00

Tell us what you know............no need to use PM, as she is deceased.

What birth name do you have for her?

Who did she marry?

Where have you looked in trying to find her birth?

Which surname have you used when looking for her birth?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Oct 2012 23:04

Is this her death?

Margaret R Owens abt 1936 Oct-Nov-Dec 1962 Chepstow Monmouthshire

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Oct 2012 23:20

I think you have it Reggie.

Details from an Ancestry tree:

Margaret Rose Davies
Birth 9 Feb 1936 in 44 Railway Street, Llanhilleth, Mon.
Death 10 Nov 1962 in Newport/Chepstow Road, Hayes Gate, Chepstow.

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Oct 2012 23:23

They have her parents as Thomas John Davies and Rose Annie George, in which case:

Births Mar 1936
DAVIES Margaret R George Pontypool 11a 200

Do those names ring a bell?

Jan

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Oct 2012 23:45

You have to remember that births are recorded in the quarter that they were registered - not when the birth occurred, so a birth that is registered in the March qtr. of 1936 could have occurred in late November or December of 1935 as you have 6 weeks in which to register a birth.

Here are the contact details for Chepstow Library:-

Contact Details
Telephone: 01291 635730
Fax: 01291 635736

email: [email protected]

They may have back copies of local newspapers on microfilm and since you have the date of death it shouldn't take too long to look to see if there was a report of the accident. They may charge to check for you or if you live locally you could check yourself.

Kath. x

kwillis

kwillis Report 15 Oct 2012 01:37

hi sorry i was so slow, didn't know how to get back on here, i have her full name Margaret rose Davies her dob is 09/11/1936...she died in dec 1962, her parents was Rosanne (don't know maiden name) she married Thomas Davies, not sure of years and ages all finding it hard to get info :-(

thank you all for your information im just gonna read through it all tidy ;-)

Kiowa x

kwillis

kwillis Report 15 Oct 2012 01:39

oh sorry Margaret married William Charles Owens in 1953

thank you all for your support x

kwillis

kwillis Report 15 Oct 2012 01:40

omg brummiejan thank you so so much x :-)

kwillis

kwillis Report 15 Oct 2012 01:42

thank you to reggie im just reading all through and yes that's right, i dont know what i was doing wrong xx

kwillis

kwillis Report 15 Oct 2012 01:50

hey Jan, i'm not sure of those names' i don't think Margaret had george in her name but i could be wrong, Thomas John Davies and Rose Annie George, not sure i know her dad was thomas and ppl called her rose but her name was rosannie xx

ki x

kwillis

kwillis Report 15 Oct 2012 01:51

thank you Kathleen, il ask in my local library or pay a trip to chepstow :-D

ki x

Susan

Susan Report 15 Oct 2012 06:49

Births Mar 1936
DAVIES Margaret R George Pontypool 11a 200

Ki

George is the maiden name of Margarets Mother,after 1912 the Mothers maiden Name is shown on the Birth Reg :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Oct 2012 09:35

Kiowa

Were you using freebmd to look for the birth?

It is the site for all bmd's in England/Wales from 1837 to approx 1950

After 1911, the second name was not recorded in full on the index, so you should always search using only the initial of the second name........

in this instance...............

Surname...DAVIES
Forename(s) MARGARET R

As you knew the year...you could have put 1936 in the date box, to cut down on results, with the name being common in Wales

However, may I just point out that you have the wrong month for her DOB. She was born in February............not November, so you may have been looking at results for the wrong qtr

mgnv

mgnv Report 15 Oct 2012 11:08

Given the birth Jan posted, the next step would be to look for more Davies-George births - hopefully you would recognize these as your parents uncles/aunts, then look for a Davies-George marr - this looks likely:

Marriages Jun 1935 (>99%)
Davies Thomas J George Pontypool 11a 395
George Rose A Davies Pontypool 11a 395

I think you have to buy this m.cert - it would give the couple's ages and fathers.
With a name like Davies, I think you'll need this. I could guess Rose's details, though. My guess for her birth is:

Births Mar 1915 (>99%)
GEORGE Rose A Tarling Pontypool 11a 365

and her parents' marr:

Marriages Dec 1905 (>99%)
BAKER Matilda Arnold Pontypool 11a 305
GEORGE Arthur Lewis Pontypool 11a 305
LYMAN James Pontypool 11a 305
TARLING Rose Hannah Pontypool 11a 305

So they ought to be together in 1911:

1911 Wales Census
Civil parish: Llanhilleth
County/Island: Monmouthshire
Street Address: 5 Havodycoed Llanhilleth
Years Married: 6 [2 live births; 2 still living]
Registration district: Pontypool
Registration District Number: 586
Sub-registration district: Llanhilleth
ED, institution, or vessel: 05
Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 31894; Schedule Number: 311; .

Arthur George 25 Ystrad, Glamorgan, Wales Head M Coal Miner (Hewer)
Rose George 22 Ebbw Vale, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife M
Edmund George 5 Llanhilleth, Monmouthshire, Wales Son
Rose George 1 Llanhilleth, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter

It's a bit odd to see Rose a=1 there, but evidently your Rose has a recycled forename:

Births Mar 1910 (>99%)
GEORGE Rose Annie L Pontypool 11a 176

Deaths Sep 1911 (>99%)
George Rose A L 1 Pontypool 11a 207

kwillis

kwillis Report 15 Oct 2012 21:35

Reggie im so new as Open it in June an didn't do anything til last two weeks, Margaret died in Nov i may have had them written round wrong way, your information have been a great help, thank you for helping me. <3 ;-) i only been looking on genes reAlly and tried library today but they was useless x

kwillis

kwillis Report 15 Oct 2012 21:39

Cheers Susan... i.never heard it before so glad i now know it is :-). I can't get over how kind you have all been in taking your own time out to help <3.

kwillis

kwillis Report 15 Oct 2012 21:46

That's brilliant mgnv i shall get copies of them, thanks for all that info as i have hit a dead head with my nan Margaret rose, side of the family.. Im trying to figure out where else i go and join :-S. xx rose is everywhere lol..

i cant work out last bit who birth/death it is, everything else have slotted in like a glove x