Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help finding about an invention for railway 1876

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 27 Oct 2012 19:57

Hi All.

Please can I have some help.

I found this whilst trawling Google. It raises yet another puzzle about these two families on my tree.

I've tried to see if I can find out more in the Gazette but no results. I am assuming that the petition refers to some official place - maybe the Patent Office? I did try to find out what that and other entries on the page are about by looking at earlier pages in the issue. For whatever reason it fried my internet pages. I would love to know what this 'apparatus' was. Looking for ideas and suggestions for how to find out. Thanks millions.Jill

232 THE LONDON GAZETTE, JANUARY 16, 1877.

4403. And Oswald George Meatyard, Audnam
Cottage, Stourbridge, and Richard Barrell, 73,
Thistle- grove, South Kensington, have given
the like notice in respect of the invention of
"improved apparatus for the greater safety of
railway trains, and passengers."
As set forth in their petition, recorded in the said
office on the 14th day of November, 1876.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Oct 2012 21:04

It sounds very much like the Patent Office but I'm afraid that is just an opinion and I don't really know. All the other things on the page seem like inventions of one sort or another.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 Oct 2012 22:27

Have you tried googling Oswald George Meatyard? There are lots of entries about the family, including this, from the London Gazette.

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership lately
subsisting between us the undersigned, Jane
Boulton, Oswald George Meatyard, Richard Harry Webb
Boulton and William Webb Bonlton, carrying on business as Glass Manufacturers, at Audnam, near Stourbridge, under the style or firm of "BOULTOS AND
MILLS," was on the 31st day of March, 1903, determined
by effluxion ot time, and has accordingly been dissolved
by mutual consent so far as regards the said Jane
Boulton and Oswald George Meatyard, who retire from
the firm. All debts due to or owing by the said late
firm will be received and paid by the said Kichard
Harry Webb Boulton and William Webb Boulton, who
will continue the said business under the present style
or. firm of Bonlton and Mills.—As witness our hands
this first day of August, 1903.
JANE BOULTON.
R H. VV. BOOLTON.
W. W. BOULTON.
OSWALD GEORGE MEATYARD.

I'm not quite sure how glass making and train safety go together, but you never know!!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Oct 2012 23:10

Have a read of this page

http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpsubject/busmanlaw/ip/historicalsearching.html

If the 1877 Gazette extract is indeed a Patent, it might be possible to ask the British Library to trace it

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 28 Oct 2012 20:39

Apologies for not returning to the post sooner. Thank you for the responses. J

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 30 Oct 2012 16:15

I think the number 4403 is the important item here, assuming it is part of the Gazette text it probably refers to some court action (petition) involving this invention, which may not have been theirs.

There is not enough information in the small amount quoted to know what this refers to, though it does sound like a copyright or patent.

The national railway museum at York may be able to help and Leicester University is well known for it's attachment to Transport History.