Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 census wrongly transcribed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 30 Oct 2012 23:47

Hi. Ive been searching for my GG grandmother for a few years, and found her living with one of her daughters and son in law.
I was amazed that when reading the transcription, that her name was written as her son in laws name and not her own married name.
Her married name is on the census but there has been no way that Genes could find her.
Can the transcription be changed?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Oct 2012 23:50

It's easy to report an error on FMP which is part of the same company as Genes (Brightsolid) - corrections on FMP usually filter through to the Genes transcriptions.

If you care to give details I'm happy to submit a correction.

jax

jax Report 31 Oct 2012 00:12

I replied on your other thread...why have you posted it on here aswell?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1313372

Jane

Jane Report 31 Oct 2012 00:18

AnnCardiff Report 30 Oct 2012 22:36
hello Jane - this would be better posted on Genealogy Chat rather than the Chat Board

Ann

jax

jax Report 31 Oct 2012 00:44

If you are going to repost somewhere else...could you please make sure no one has replied before you start another....if there are no replies then delete the thread...that way members are not duplicating the same info.

Jane

Jane Report 31 Oct 2012 00:58

Sorry
Was doing what was asked of me

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 31 Oct 2012 16:55

Jane. While working at the Scottish records office i've sometimes found an enumerators (census collectors) error such as you describe. I've reported it and it has been annotated on the original record for future readers.

Genes sites such as GR and FMP cannot do this as Reggie points out.

It cannot have been easy being an enumerator. Working with often semi-literate and un-cooperative people, tired, late at night and all got to be done within a strict timescale!

jax

jax Report 31 Oct 2012 17:25

Malcolm

FMP can correct transcription errors and it has been mentioned on other threads that GR will if they are emailed?? ( GR I have no experience with but have reported a few on FMP which have since been changed)

In this case it is a transcription error as the name has been transcribed as her daughter and son in laws...when it is correct on the image

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Oct 2012 19:18

Jane sent me a pm so I've submitted correction to FMP.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 31 Oct 2012 19:54

Both FMP & Ancestry allow for amendments to be made. I have submitted 100's (and I do mean 100's) of amendments since doing my own reasearch.

However, the one I would love to amend I cannot as my g/grandfather wrote my grandads names down as Regniald instead of Reginald!!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Nov 2012 06:00

PP

you can submit Alternative Information to ancestry though!

Use the following formula ...................

Provide alternate for ............... Name

Reason .............. Incorrect in Image

Change Regniald to Reginald

Explain or source your information ................. the correct spelling of this name is Reginald. He is/was my grandfather

I've done a similar thing, and it has been accepted.

It then shows on the Record, and in searches

sylvia

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 1 Nov 2012 10:27

Unless I am misunderstanding Jane's original question, the actual 1911 has the correct info.
It is not an enumerator's error. It is a transcription error.

Edit:
I am not fully awake yet.. a 1911 census is completed by the head of the household, not an enumerator!
I don't expect that the son in law will have entered the wrong name for his mother in law.

I would have thought that this could be amended by GR for correct search purposes, I don't know where GR obtain the transcribed info from???
Do they do it themselves?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Nov 2012 12:26

Anne - I have looked at both the original image and the transcription and it is most definitely a transcription error.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Nov 2012 18:27

So far as I know, GR have not done the transcription themselves ................... actually most sites (FMP, ancestry, etc) don't do the transcription themselves, they contract it out.

Even the British government department contracted out the transcription of the 1911 Census. Not sure about the 1901 Census

GR has obtained the transcriptions from FMP .............. and I was told in one email that GR did not "currently" have the ability to make addendums to the records, although they hoped eventually to be able to do so.

Also note that none of them will correct the actual record, whether it be census or bmd ................ they just cannot.

Most will make Addendums to the Record.

sylvia