Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sorting family into various trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 23 Apr 2013 13:54

Just started and have gone astray already, put paternal and maternal names on the one tree. Is there an easy/quick way to remove them to a separate tree please. Many thanks. :-S

Potty

Potty Report 23 Apr 2013 14:03

Welcome to the boards Margaret.

I think you can only have one tree on GR (unless you join twice!)

What is wrong with having both lines on the one tree? Most people do.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Apr 2013 14:18

Both 'sides' of the tree contribute their genes to their descendants.............ergo: having one tree is correct.

By the time you get to great-grandparents, you'll need EIGHT trees if you plan on keeping them separate, and that doesn't allow for anyone to have more than one marriage.

Margaret

Margaret Report 23 Apr 2013 16:54

Hi Thank you both so very much, thought I had gone wrong straightaway by being enthusiastic and putting down everyone I knew of on the one tree. Would love to be able to print out the whole thing as far as I have got but only able to print off bits at a time as far as I can see - I am probably just stupid, also would have liked to dave to a removeable memory stick thing. I thought their might be help on the site of how you are meant to print out things showing all the details you have inserted for them all. You can tell I am not very computer literate. :-S

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 23 Apr 2013 18:40

I am a neanderthal... my tree is on paper and covers pratically one wall in the study.

Kay