Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 9 Jun 2013 17:58

Please could any one advise me. I have a lady in my tree whose name was Beatrice Ellen but she went by the name of Nellie. She took me a while to find as I was looking for a 'Nellie' birth.

I am trying to find either a sister or cousin of this lady who was called/known as Fanny. Is there a given first name where sometimes the name Fanny was used instead.

I am not asking for any look ups, I'm just not aware of any other name this person could have had. I'm trying to find out for an 81 year old relative.

Chris

greyghost

greyghost Report 9 Jun 2013 17:59

Fanny was used for Frances

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Jun 2013 18:03

If the birth was after 1911, you can search using the surnames, which may be more effective

'Fanny' may have been a diminutive of her second forename, as was the case with 'Nellie'

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 9 Jun 2013 18:03

I was hoping there would be another name it was used for too.

Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Jun 2013 18:05

It may simply have been a nickname..............and not in any way linked to her given name(s)

My late sister in law was 'Molly' to everyone who ever knew her.............her given names were Irene Lucy

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 9 Jun 2013 18:05

Unfortunately Reggie it was pre 1911. If she was a sister of Beatrice then the surname doesn't help me as it was Smith.

Chris

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 9 Jun 2013 18:07

I am going to hope it was as with your late sister in law then Reggie, I have a few ladies I can do further research with marriages and births of children. Hopefully this will then jog my elderly relatives mind.

Thank you

Chris

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Jun 2013 18:48

Did Fanny get married to a known surname?...Does she appear in a census?

If you post a few more clues we will take a look, if you like.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 9 Jun 2013 19:18

Hi Gwyn,

My elderly relative remembers her getting married and that they had two sons but that's all she remembers unfortunatelty but thank you for your offer.

Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Jun 2013 23:10

Does Beatrice have any recorded sisters on censuses?

If 'Fanny' was a cousin, then I don't rate your chances..............but I wish you luck

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Jun 2013 01:17

If she was born before 1911, and you have found the family on the 1911 Census

............... what was her name shown as on that form?