Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mark this as answered.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CDU

CDU Report 19 Jul 2013 12:45

Hi I am new to all this, What does mark this as answered mean?
If i ask a question,then some one replies ,is that the end of it?

Potty

Potty Report 19 Jul 2013 13:07

Depends on whether or not the reply completely answers your original question. If you still need help, marking as answered will probably close the thread and stop others looking at.

CDU

CDU Report 19 Jul 2013 13:27

Hi Potty So i need not thank the helper for their help.

CDU

CDU Report 19 Jul 2013 13:27

Hi Potty So i need not thank the helper for their help.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 13:28

CDU - just ignore it and pretend it isn't there!

As Potty says, once you tick that on any post it will mark the thread as completed (shows with a green tick on the list of threads) so people may tend to avoid helping further.

I can quite understand how if a poster has been asked a question which they've then answered, they would deem it appropriate to tick the question as answered. However, the system is flawed and doesn't work as it should.

You used to be able to remove the "ticked as answered" until very recently but that doesn't work now.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 13:31

CDU - you should ALWAYS thank helpers for their assistance. To do so you just type a message of thanks and post it as you would any other comment.

e.g.

"Thanks to everyone who has helped" - wording's up to you.

The ticking as answered was never intended to be a mode of expressing gratitude.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jul 2013 13:56

Remember that if you 'mark as answered' it will be assumed that you need no further help.....................and the tag cannot be removed

Of course you should thank people....................that goes without saying, and I'm astonished that anyone would think otherwise.

In all honesty, with 184 posts to your name, you are not really 'new' to this

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Jul 2013 19:17

I have never felt the need to mark any thread as answered.

Some of my threads are still brickwalls many years on whereas other ones have had a successful conclusion. Once I have thanked people for their help, a completed thread will naturally slip down the boards if no replies are added.
For the 'brickwall' ones I can resurrect them at any time if more information is found.

Gwyn