Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

People moving addresses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 31 Jul 2013 18:20

Just spent the day at local archive trying to find baptisms for Grandmothers family. They were Methodists and used the local chapels. So far I have found records for five different chapels and five different addresses. Add that to the addresses on census records and it means they moved at least seven times over a ten year period. There are still three baptisms to find and they must be at a different address again. I know people moved from one rental to another, but this is getting silly.

Andy

jax

jax Report 31 Jul 2013 18:37

I know my own grandparents and gt grandparents moved a few houses along the road because the rent was cheaper....they didn't have the amount of stuff we have now days to move about

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 31 Jul 2013 19:04

jax
I have a family like that.
Mother and daughter between them lived in 6 different houses in the same street.

Gwyn

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Jul 2013 19:06

Andy, it wasn't uncommon for people to flit about every few months. They were rarely bound by tenancy agreements or any sort of formality.

If a neighbour moved out and the vacated house/flat/tenement room was marginally better than the one the family was in then they'd pile their stuff in a handcart and off they went. I remember my gran (born 1905) telling me about doing this. The landlord's rent collectors weren't too bothered who they got the rent from.

Andrew

Andrew Report 31 Jul 2013 19:14

Anything to pay less rent I suppose!

It also works the 'other way round'. One address in particular keeps cropping up in part of my family over about a 40 year span. I've lost track of how many different family members lived there, but over three generations it must be about thirty.

They must have been paying the rent on time to stay there so long.

Andy

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 31 Jul 2013 19:20

Andy

It's great when extended family live at the same address isn't it?

On the other side of my family I have a rented farmhouse used by family continously from 1861 census until December 2011, when the last occupant died there having been born in that house 95 years earlier.

Gwyn

Andrew

Andrew Report 31 Jul 2013 19:46

Gwyn. That is an impressive record!

Andy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Aug 2013 04:25

lots of people didn't pay their rent ................ and then did a "midnight flit", sometimes, just around the corner!

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 1 Aug 2013 09:43

We called it a 'Moonlight Flit' in our part of Sth London