Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 5 Aug 2013 20:28

I've been trying to follow the brother of my GGF, name of Benjamin Tolley b1870. I cannot find a marriage for him or a death, however, there are 2 deaths of people with this name but both registered as 0 years old at death. The question I have is that when registering deaths could the age have been recorded as 0 years old if no age was given? or was this normalpractice?

Thanks in Advance

Steve

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Aug 2013 20:37

If you've found two deaths in that name, have you been able to rule out either of them with a matching birth?

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 5 Aug 2013 20:37

Where was he born. Is this him.

Civil registration event: Birth

Name: TOLLEY, BenjaminRegistration district: [?] Dudley County: StaffordshireYear of registration: 1870Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun Mother's maiden name: Not available before 1911 Q3Volume no:[?]6CPage no:[?]31

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Aug 2013 20:39

for example these

Births Sep 1905 (>99%)
Tolley Benjamin Dudley 6c 46

Deaths Dec 1905 (>99%)
Tolley Benjamin 0 Dudley 6c 15

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 5 Aug 2013 21:03

Maybe????
England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index, 1837-1915 about Ben Tolley
Name: Ben Tolley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1899
Age at Death: 29
Registration District: Wolverhampton
Inferred County: Staffordshire
Volume: 6b
Page: 380

Maureen

Stephen

Stephen Report 5 Aug 2013 21:10

Rambling Rose/Tenerife Sun,

That appears to be the right person, the birth is correct as is the district. The death that you site Rose appears to be correct, however my previous searches on BMD have not turned thids one up?

Turns out my GGFather had a pretty bad time just after the turn of the century, loses his brother in 1905 (assuming this is correct) and his wife 3 years later at the age of 42 leaving him with 3 children to bring up.

Thanks for the help ladies.

Steve

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 6 Aug 2013 00:40

I would think that the 1905 death in the December quarter aged 0 belongs with this birth

Births Sep 1905 (>99%)
Tolley Benjamin Dudley 6c 46

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Aug 2013 11:55

Steve, your search probably didn't turn up that death because I'm guessing you typed in Benjamin and it was registered as Ben.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Aug 2013 12:23

Age at death registered as zero means that the deceased was less than one year old