Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Code for British Newspaper Archive plz?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 19 Sep 2013 11:24

Does anyone have a promotion code for this site? Its for a friend, not for myself. Googling brings up lots of sites talking about codes, but I cant find any current codes. She's on a budget so would appreciate it. Thankyou.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 19 Sep 2013 14:54

I cant see any promo codes either 0ther than some free credits, but seeing that british newspaper archives is owned by brightsolid, who also own fmp &Genes why not try the free search, then buy some credits if you get a result.

So I am assuming, (wrong to assume I know) that the records on FMP & Genes are the same.

Or if its just the odd record being looked for ask for a look up on FMP

George

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Sep 2013 16:16

GR also have access to the BNA, the same as FMP. Last year you can search on here (both?) is 1949

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Sep 2013 22:25

If you register with the British Newspaper Archive on their site (costs nothing) you get 15 free credits which equates to viewing 3 pages.

I certainly wouldn't condone people bucking the system but if someone had more than one email address then they can register more than once and get the free credits each time. ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Sep 2013 23:02

As so often seems to happen, the different sites are using different search engines!

I would always search the BNA site first ................. their search engine is much better.

I had some free credits on here .......... I would search on BNA, see if the record was "mine", and then use the credits to actually read it.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Sep 2013 11:53

I would always use the free search on the BNA site.

You can choose the newspaper and dates you are searching. Especially useful if you are searching an area with several newspapers on the site. You can also distinguish between articles, adverts etc.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Sep 2013 15:46

What I do is make a note of all the names I want to look up in the BNA, then pay about £6.00 for a weekend pass.

I have full FMP with access to the BNA, and have found it to be totally useless.

The records I find when I use the BNA site, never appear when I use the access which I pay for with my membership to FMP.

And on both you do have to search through the 'dross' results to find the gems.

Janet

Janet Report 20 Sep 2013 16:37

Are you wanting the newspapers after the 19th century? If not they are all free via your local library.-j