Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Siuthport General Record Office

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Oct 2013 19:04

I am about to send for three certificates from Southport Office. I have found that they cost £9.25 each and have the address of the office for correspondence. However, as I do not have a credit card will be sending a cheque. Does anyone know who I make the cheque payable to? Thanks.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Oct 2013 20:09

Don't they say on the site?

EDIT: Hmm, can't see anything - they seem to be pointing you to GRO

EDIT2: I'm assuming you don't have a debit card either? I know a couple of people who have neither and so to enable themselves to make purchases they have used Visa Electron cards (the sort where you top up the card with cash).

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Oct 2013 20:13

Found it!

"Her Majesty's Passport Office".

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/
attachment_data/file/236846/Guidance_Notes_Sept_2013.pdf

(copy and paste both lines)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Oct 2013 20:17

There are a number of application forms and the guidance notes that the payee details came from on

http://goo.gl/1unWwk
General Register Office certificate application forms

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Oct 2013 20:35

Just found it too, on the guidance notes. It was rather hidden though. They clearly don't want to encourage postal applications.....!

jax

jax Report 1 Oct 2013 23:20

So is your cheque Guarantee card not a debit card as well?

A lot of places stopped taking cheques (as it cost money to pay them in)...I remember the large family restaurant chain I worked for, stopped taking them over 5 years ago for this reason

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Oct 2013 06:57

Good point. Come to think about it my 90 yo mil has a debit card which evolved from her guarantee card.

Cheques were both costly and insecure if they fall in the wrong hands. Think about it - they have all your bank details, a copy of your signature and more often than not, your address on the back.

The abolition of the guarantee scheme in 2011 was the death knell for cheques as far as most retail transactions are concerned and even commercially, their use has largely been superseded by electronic payments.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 3 Oct 2013 03:51

I order all my certs from the GRO online.

So much easier and the website is secure, and you are issued with your own pesonal password.

Simples......

Inky1

Inky1 Report 5 Oct 2013 08:49

From the GenesReunited subscriptions pages:-

Our payment partner, PayPal, can take payments with Switch / Maestro if you don't have a Visa or Mastercard.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Oct 2013 09:30

I thought this query related to the GRO..........................

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Oct 2013 15:24

And how much do Genes charge to purchase a BMD on your beahalf. Far more than the £9.25 that the GRO charge I bet.....

Wonder if this post will be whooshed!!!! :-D

jax

jax Report 5 Oct 2013 16:23

As FMP directs people to GRO I would have thought Genes would also?

Not that I can see anything on this site relating to purchasing certs anyway

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Oct 2013 18:29

Fairly sure I have, possibly amongst the 'getting started' things that are laying around. It gave the gro url

Inky1

Inky1 Report 6 Oct 2013 12:08

Reggie,
Yes, the query related to GRO. I was merely pondering on how the OP paid for membership of this site without some form of card.

From the Contact Us page on the GRO website:-
(https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/contact_us.asp)

Before you order a certificate
If you would like to ask us a question, or want to know more about one of our services before you order a certificate you can email us directly at [email protected]
If you do not wish to receive an autotext response please include GQ in the subject field of your email. We will respond to your email within 5 working days.

Telephone
You can contact us by telephone on +44 (0)300 123 1837 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday. Saturday 9am to 4pm). Calls to 0300 numbers cost no more that calls to UK numbers starting 01 and 02 and should be part of any inclusive minutes that apply to your provider and call package. Please note your call may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.
Deaf, hard of hearing and speech impaired customers can use the Text Relay service to contact the General Register Office.
To use this facility text: 18001 (followed by) 0300 123 1837.

So the OP can get the question answered by email or telephone.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 6 Oct 2013 12:25

GRO site has application forms to download, also guidance notes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/236846/Guidance_Notes_Sept_2013.pdf

Cheque instructions are on page 2, section 5.2

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 6 Oct 2013 15:24

What has happened to this thread, its grown!!!