Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

German Military

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

M

M Report 26 Oct 2013 16:21

Hello

I am looking for help to identify my great great grandfathers military uniform as there is some confusion.
As i couldnt upload a photograph on to this forum i've uploaded it to Rootschat.com so hopefully you can view.

Many thanks in advance

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=665985.new#new

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 26 Oct 2013 19:09

You can upload it to GR then it will be in your "Keepsafe" Then make it availabe to other members, then post the link or the name you gave the photo when you uploaded it

Roy

M

M Report 26 Oct 2013 21:14

Thank you for that but can anyone help with my question??

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Oct 2013 21:20

Seeing how very badly the jacket fits and this wouldnt happen in the military,,,,,,,,,, I would say its just mock studio photo, much like a dress up,

the helmets -picklehaube/picklehauben were worn up into the WW1 by ranking men.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 26 Oct 2013 21:31

Try this site, Note in the picture you posted it looks like he is wearing a sword so possibly cavalry or an infantry officer

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/

Note; in the picture you posted it looks like he is wearing a sword so possibly cavalry or an infantry officer? German Military is not my usual subject

Roy

M

M Report 26 Oct 2013 22:36

I have contacted National Portrait Galley to see if they have any information on Loescher & Petsch.
Would like to know more about the photograph to see if it was a mock photo and why he would have one done? I suppose it would be for fun? but i always think of victorians as serious non fun loving people! (ha!)