Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

carpathia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mgtjwl

Mgtjwl Report 11 Nov 2013 22:02

Can any body please help I am trying to find crew list for carpathia 1902-1918 NOT when it went to the rescue of the titanic, I have found a list of crew members for then .
Most of my cousin heard that our granddad John James Jones birth 1888 Liverpool was a crew member at some point , I heard it was a brother not found all of my granddads siblings yet
Margaret.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Nov 2013 22:42

So what are you actually trying to prove?

Mgtjwl

Mgtjwl Report 11 Nov 2013 23:17

Hi Reggie sorry I was not here when you replied
I would like to find out if my Grand dad or one of his brothers served on the carpathia at some
I have looked I can only find crew members when it went to the aid of the titanic
I would like to know where I can find crew members for the times before and after the titanic thank you
margaret

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2013 23:25

"Carpathia made her maiden voyage on 5 May 1903 from Liverpool, England, to Boston, USA, and ran services between New York City, Gibraltar, Genova, Naples, Trieste and Fiume."

(Wikipedia)

Ancestry does hold manifest for both UK arrivals, and USA ones, but with a surname like Jones (first names uncertain) it could take an awful lot of searching!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2013 23:27

Just using the parameters of Jones and Carpathia, there are 121,018 pages of results, with 20 names to a page. Thats only on the UK incoming lists :-(

Mgtjwl

Mgtjwl Report 11 Nov 2013 23:31

Thanks DetEcTive
your not wrong Jones is my maiden name
thank you any help is very welcome
Margaret xxxx

ps will go look Ancestry but will keep checking back here

Gee

Gee Report 12 Nov 2013 08:00

Take a look at this site

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/carpathia-passengers-crew/

Potty

Potty Report 12 Nov 2013 12:10

Having browsed through some of the images on Ancestry, I think they are only passenger lists and do not include crew.

Mgtjwl

Mgtjwl Report 12 Nov 2013 17:13

Thank you Potty
I think you are right ,but I will keep on looking
thank you all
Margaret

Gee

Gee Report 12 Nov 2013 17:16

Potty

It shows their occupation on the link that I posted? They are crew members

Potty

Potty Report 13 Nov 2013 12:07

Gins, I think that list is just for the voyage when the Carpathia went to the aid of the Titanic and not all its voyages.

Gee

Gee Report 13 Nov 2013 17:14

The list was a crew list but I think you're right, it was a list as of 1912 when the Titanic sunk

There is an Able Seaman on the 1911 census, with the name John James Jones

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 13 Nov 2013 22:08

There are crew lists for the Ship at the National Archives. Not online though - you would have to go there or get someone to go for you

Mgtjwl

Mgtjwl Report 14 Nov 2013 00:05

Thank you all very much will go take look at 1911 cen.. national archives
Margaret