Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Funeral Directors records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 12 Nov 2013 12:16

I just wondered whether Funeral Directors were able to release records of funerals that they have carried out, after a certain number of years? I know the answer is probably "no" due to privacy issues, however, certainly in the past local newspapers did print announcements after funerals saying who had attended, etc.

What do others think (or know)?

Terry

jax

jax Report 12 Nov 2013 12:17

Have you tried asking one?

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 12 Nov 2013 12:22

Gosh, that was quick jax!

No I haven't although I intend to. A week ago, a reunion of cousins was arranged, and over 20 of us met and I discovered that within a branch of our family tree, there is a funeral directors business.

This is why I have just thought of the question. It may be a while before contact is possible, hence the question on here.

Many thanks,

Terry

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Nov 2013 12:26

Like Jax - you need to ask one.

If they were buried or cremated at a Council establishment, you might be able to get hold of a copy of their records.

The ones I've found on deceasedonline.com for the 1960's give the name of the person who organised the funeral and their address as well as the deceased's home address. As it happens, these were cremations.

If the likely cemetery/crematorium isn't listed on the site, contact them directly. There is usually a link on the Council website

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 12 Nov 2013 12:34

I didn't have a particular burial in mind, it was just a general enquiry.

I have, however, e-mailed my cousin who's family has the funeral director connection to see if she can find out from them.

Thanks,

Terry

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Nov 2013 20:29

I would suggest you ask. Some old established firms keep long, extensive and detailed records going back many, many years.

Not so sure about the more 'modern' ones.

And those old firms are a mine of information about funeral traditions etc.

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 21 Nov 2013 08:31

Not exactly what you asked but do research old funeral companies. I have relatives who lived in Surrey, there is a firm Frederick Paine located in Kingston upon Thames who have records starting in 1908 plus an interesting museum. On a Tuesday they have a volunteer who will look for any burial records, the old ones all in lovely leather ledgers I have managed to find several ancestors giving height, name of kin, address etc.

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 21 Nov 2013 10:37

Thanks for all our replies.

I am awaiting a response from a local, long established funeral directors in the Gloucestershire area, via a cousin.

It seems to me that there could be a wealth of information that they may have about family members attending, and about the individual themselves.

As I said before, I didn't have a specific ancestor in mind when I posted the comment, I just wondered about the experiences that other GR members had had.

Terry

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 14 Dec 2013 15:57

funeral director will not give information out to folk. under the data act .... the information can only be given to the person who organised the funeral. this may be next of kin or ?