Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Accidently copying same person .

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 17 May 2014 05:36

When I check my tree , sometimes I see that I have made a copy of a previous " entered " person . How do I intergrate / marry these identical entries .

patchem

patchem Report 17 May 2014 07:26

Have you considered asking technical support for help, including explaining why you just do not delete the copy?
(Your query is presumably perfectly obvious to you, but not necessarily to anyone who has not encountered the problem before)

Kense

Kense Report 17 May 2014 08:15

With the old tree it was necessary to duplicate people who appeared on more than one branch. An example is where two brothers of one family married two sisters of another family.

There is now the facility, when adding a spouse, of selecting "Find existing" which allows you to put in someone who is already on the tree.

Basically you have to correct your tree manually using that facility. Keep the person with the most information and delete the other and then put the deleted one back in using the find existing function.

It becomes more complicated if they have descendants but presumably they will also be duplicated, so ensure the branch you are keeping has all the information.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 May 2014 10:44

I had a similar (or maybe the same) problem a couple of years ago, John.
These were not people who appeared twice on my tree. They just appeared twice, without my having knowingly copied them, in the place in the tree where they should have been, and the system wouldn't let me delete them.
The GR helpdesk / customer services people sorted it for me.