Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

who has lived in the house before

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 26 May 2014 18:48

could some one help me I have an address and I want to find out who has lived in the house on the census the house has been there since the 16 hundreds thanks june

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 May 2014 18:51

Have you done any research at the local library to see if the house has been renamed or even the street renamed

June

June Report 26 May 2014 18:54

no its a friend has just moved and she wanted to know who live in the house from 1841-to 1911

patchem

patchem Report 26 May 2014 20:02

Put up the address then...

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 May 2014 20:49

The names of previous owners should be on the Deeds..............

Inky1

Inky1 Report 27 May 2014 22:17

Reggie,

The OP is looking to the 1800's. Deeds as we know them (Land Registry, etc.) do not go back that far.

I have the original handwritten documents for a house that my great grandfather bought in 1901 (for £300). Ownership subsequently passed to my grandfather. Then to my father. As executor for the latter I took all the records to the solicitor. But the only one she wanted was the Land Registry record. She told me to keep the others as mementos. And added that if I really did not want them, to advertise them as they were 'collectibles'.

jax

jax Report 28 May 2014 01:47

Also not everyone owned their own houses.....I doubt whether any of my ancestors did. They were always moving as the family grew or if the rent was cheaper

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 May 2014 07:40

June,

You need to respond to patchem’s comment.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 May 2014 09:34

The Land Registry has been in existence since 1862

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 May 2014 09:34

The Land Registry has been in existence since 1862

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 May 2014 11:45

"Deeds as we know them" i.e. The modern printed documents that owners, their bank or building society have.
Mine state Land Registration Acts 1925 to 1971 and include Property Register, Charge Certificate, General Map, list of Covenants, etc. The earliest date is a land transfer in 1934. A second transfer took place in 1935 - to the builder, who then built the houses. The next date is 1950 and references a charge by the Woolwich Equitable Building Society. Possible, therefore, that the house was rented out from 1935 to 1950? (I don't know)

Yes, the LR has existed since the 1800's.

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/faqs/can-you-tell-me-how-old-my-house-is

Click through to the Land Registry's Digital Archive

I wonder if the house referred to by June is one of the "almost 2,000 properties" registered under that 1862 Act?

jax

jax Report 28 May 2014 12:20

How many people get to see their deeds before the house is paid for?.....the Bank or Building soc will have them until then

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 May 2014 13:19

Did you not ask for a copy at the time of purchase?
Or, of course, one can go online and purchase at least some of the documents I mentioned above.
And even when any loan is paid off, it's a good idea to let the lender keep them safe.

jax

jax Report 28 May 2014 14:08

I worked for the Bank so I could see them if I wanted to when I worked in the securities dept.....but they were not interesting as the house was an 1950s ex council place with only one owner before us....next place we purchased was a 1980s build....so again not interesting

Don't think it was really the done thing to ask for copies 30 odd years ago....don't remember anyone asking.

I did live in a property that was built in the 1600s but it was a pub and we were only tenants but have found it on the census's back to 1841, whether any of them owned it I do not know.....they too were probably tenants

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 May 2014 17:13

Over the past few years I have paid to download a number of “Deeds”. Mostly they do not provide much of the detail that I had hoped for. But in tracing a great uncle’s whereabouts the records of the house in which he subsequently died proved interesting. (to me)

Portsmouth 1929
Land was sold off by “His Majesty's Principal
Secretary of State for the War Department (Secretary of State)”
The Purchaser sold the land to a developer (four names so possibly a consortium?)
There were Restrictive Covenants. Herewith two parts of the Schedule

5. THE said land or any building erected thereon should not be
used as a Bill posting or advertising station or for sale of wines
spirits or beer or as a new Mill or wood coal or coke yard and no
noxious noisy or offensive trade or business should be carried on
thereon or in any building to be erected thereon and nothing
should be done or committed or suffered upon land or in any such
building which should be or become a nuisance or source or cause
of injury or annoyance to adjoining property of Secretary of State
for War.

6. NO hut caravan shed or house-on-wheels or other chattel
intended for use as a dwellinghouse or sleeping apartment nor any
booth show swing or roundabout should be erected or used or
suffered to be erected or used on any part of said land.

Similar wording to that in 5 is quite common. But not 6?

patchem

patchem Report 29 May 2014 06:49

House we were considering buying had positive and negative covenants.

No caravans.

Think we were allowed roundabouts. (Or not deliberately excluded)

Inky1

Inky1 Report 29 May 2014 10:30

Should anyone be thinking of obtaining online "Deeds".

Out of curiosity I have just paid £3 to download the details available for the house that I mentioned in my post 27May. And there is not much there. The earliest date showing is 10Aug1920.

From the 11 handwritten documents that I have:-
09Nov1887. Earliest date that I have. Between the builder and the first purchaser.
24Jul1889. That first purchaser entered into a mortgage with the Kent Reliance Building Society.
18Apr1894. Conveyance (ie sold) to a second purchaser.
1900. My great grandfather buys from, and enters into a mortgage with, that second purchaser.
31Jul1920. Reconveyance - ggf paid off his mortgage.
03Aug1920. Conveyance between ggf and gf.

This last document has a Land Registry stamp (with a signature) on the back, dated 10Aug1920. Also a six digit number, being the same number as the Title Number on todays download.

Neither the charges nor any names referenced in any of the above documents appear in the download. So 10Aug1920 was when that house, built in 1887, was first registered. And details of prior transactions are not available online - even though some of them also have the Title Number stamped.