Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New on Anc*stry..........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 14 Jun 2014 12:09

Kiwi BMD's

New Zealand Birth Index, 1840-1950

New Zealand, Death Index, 1848-1964

New Zealand, Marriage Index, 1840-1934

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Jun 2014 12:12

Is that Ancestry UK or Ancestry NZ

Persephone

Persephone Report 14 Jun 2014 12:42

It is on the Australian Ancestry.. or you get it on Ancestry Worldwide...

With our BMD site you can only get marriages before today's date 1934 .. I can't see NZ Historical BMD allowing it to include the rest of the year today.. it rolls over each day to include whatever today's date in 1934.

Maybe they have done it from the microfiche files which one can access at the city Library..

I haven't had a look at it yet.. but will do..

Persie

Persephone

Persephone Report 14 Jun 2014 12:59

This is what it states in reference to their database on births:

This collection includes a searchable index to birth records from New Zealand covering the years 1840–1950. The index lists the name of the child, the quarter and year in which he or she was born, and a folio number associated with the microfiche index created by the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs.

Once you locate an ancestor in this collection, you can use the details to search the database on the New Zealand BDM website and request a copy of the original record, which will include more detail.

Now I have just put my cousin's name in, born 1936, another born 1934 and others born before 1950 and none of them show up.. they are all living relatives. I also put in one that was born in 1942 and died 2002 and she does not show either same thing with others.. as far as I know you cannot get a birth unless it is 100 years old today.

This is what is on our BMD:

The historic data available for you to search is limited so that people or families who might still be alive, can be protected. Information available includes:

Births that occurred at least 100 years ago
Stillbirths that occurred at least 50 years ago
Marriages that occurred at least 80 years ago
Deaths that occurred at least 50 years ago or the deceased's date of birth was at least 80 years ago.

I am not sure what is going on??

Note that only stillbirths are available from 1915-1950.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Jun 2014 14:25

And why do people insist on not typing in the name

it is ANCESTRY

not ANC*STRY

You are not promoting the site in any way, or complaining about this site.

Just informing people of whats new.

jax

jax Report 14 Jun 2014 16:02

I know there are people in NZ with my paternal name, tried it out and got two deaths in 1951 and one marriage in 1926 with no indication of who the spouse was :-S

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 14 Jun 2014 17:05

As it says Jax it's an Index.

At least you found something :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Jun 2014 00:32

A free search on NZ BMD https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search/ gives better info than on the Ancestry (yes, I'm using the word ANCESTRY!!!) indexes.

The births on there give the mother's maiden name whereas ANCESTRY does not.

For heaven's sake, what on earth is wrong with naming another genealogy site? Everyone knows that Genes Reunited is not the only one that exists - they have said numerous times that there is not a problem mentioning other sites as long as it is not to GR's detriment, i.e. an unfavourable comparison. No need to be coy and twee.

Persephone

Persephone Report 15 Jun 2014 07:51

I can provide way more info than Ancestry on NZ guff... can give you spouses full names up to 1956.

NZ has got so many free records not just BMD, but Papers Past, Archives, Passenger ships listings, military records (some with photos), Presbyterian weddings and heaps of cemetery records. Once I get my family, spouses etc over from the UK everything is plain sailing.

I gather that is a danger sign Marie with your stiletto and the football?

No you are not coy or twee.. ummm dangerous?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2014 08:36

How complete are the records to which you refer Mr Magoo?

And why are you persisting with the notion that ANCESTRY can't be mentioned on here?

................not that anyone with half a brain would be fooled by your rather odd version of the name

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 15 Jun 2014 12:12

As they are only an Index they are just a guide to finding the full information.

Persephone.

I am aware that NZ sites do offer more than these links.

MarieC*leste & R*ggie it's a habit on here from years ago.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Jun 2014 12:33

Please ch*nge your h*bits

As long as poeple continue to do this GR will have won....
;-)