Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deaths

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 15 Jun 2014 12:58

How up to date are death records on here ? I am struggling to find a couple of recent deaths ?

Flip

Flip Report 15 Jun 2014 13:05

You won't find any deaths online after 2007 (and not all of them for 2007 are transcribed) unless you are lucky enough to be looking in an area with local BMD index online - some go up to 2009 (eg Cumbria-bmd).

Might be better to look in obituaries, iannounce has a lot of those, or in local newspapers.

Added, sorry I should have said welcome to the boards Amanda :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Jun 2014 20:10

Hi Amanda

Why are you not using FreeBMD - this is being updated all the time (most of the records on here are just copied from there anyway as are most other sites BMD records.)

Ancestry may have more up to date records. But as said the GRO are not intending to release to any Genealogy sites records after 2007.

You could always post on here a name any those with Ancestry subs will look to see what they can find for you.

I go to FreeBMD all the time, before I look up on Ancestry (I have never used the records on here, and have even removed my tree!).

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Jun 2014 20:43

DazedConfused - which part of FreeBMD are you finding recent deaths on? The most recent I can see is 1983.

jax

jax Report 15 Jun 2014 21:50

From freebmd's home page

contains index information for the period 1837-1983, BUT WE HAVE NOT YET TRANSCRIBED THE WHOLE PERIOD

they are not planning to add anything after that, and at the moment are up to approx. 1970.... so there would be no reason to look at freebmd for anything recent

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jun 2014 09:04

NO deaths after 2007 are on the MAIN online sites, by which I mean FMP and Ancestry.

freebmd is not relevant in this instance

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 16 Jun 2014 11:39

I never said that FreeBMD had up to date records, just that they are adding newer records all the time.

And I know that you cannot view any records post 2007 online.

I was just promoting the use of FreeBMD.

Persephone

Persephone Report 16 Jun 2014 23:36

Yes, but it did not answer the original question posed by Amanda..

Amanda wants to find them now, not wait until BMD has caught up>>

Amanda

Amanda Report 17 Jun 2014 11:04

Thanks for all replies the first comment answered my question I was looking up a couple of distant relatives/ friends to confirm year of death as I wasn't sure.just needed to know why they were not listed.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 19 Jun 2014 13:30

Persephone - Surely without stating the timespan all our comments for good or ill are worthless! 'Recent' could mean last year to 20 years ago to some.

FreeBMD for me has always been my first stop. And I know many others on here and other sites go there first, for all older records.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 19 Jun 2014 13:30

Persephone - Surely without stating the timespan all our comments for good or ill are worthless! 'Recent' could mean last year to 20 years ago to some.

FreeBMD for me has always been my first stop. And I know many others on here and other sites go there first, for all older records.

jax

jax Report 19 Jun 2014 13:38

Well Freebmd is not planning on adding records past 1983 as I mentioned above.....I would not say that was recent would you?