Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Duplicate parish baptism records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 22 Jun 2014 14:35

Researching my ancestors from the 1600 and 1700s I have discovered that many children have two baptism records In the parish registers. The records are for the same day and year in two different parishes. This is physically impossible as the parishes are miles apart. This had shown up time and time again with the same family - my particular branch and other branches as well. It Is not restricted to just baptisms, there are a couple of marriages with the same dual record. Can anyone give a reason for this?

Gee

Gee Report 22 Jun 2014 14:47

I've seen some parish records transcribed twice, one might have additional info but I've not seen any that are in differing parish's

Potty

Potty Report 22 Jun 2014 15:46

Probably the church or chapel where the baptisms/marriages took place was a "daughter" church (or Chapel of Ease) and the events were recorded also in the "Mother" church. Have you tried to find out about the history of the churches concerned?

Peter

Peter Report 22 Jun 2014 16:29

Good idea. I have looked at one church but not the other. But the parishes are very distant to each other , however there might be some other link. Thanks

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 22 Jun 2014 19:36

Is this according to familysearch?
I had a case of this with a family in Shropshire, the parents were shown as marrying in two different towns on the same day and also all the children were baptised in two different towns on the same day.
I queried this with familysearch and the answer was that for some reason these two towns have the same reference number. The records had been transcribed twice, once for each town. I ordered copies of the records from familysearch and the answer came back that no records existed for this family from town B - so town A was the right one.

Peter

Peter Report 22 Jun 2014 21:26

Is that the IGI site? Thanks for that. At least someone else seems to have the same anomaly. I was beginning to think I was unique! If you're right then it would explain why I can't find anything about the family name in one of the places. But of course now it throws up even more things to think about! Most grateful to you.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Jun 2014 14:34

And do not discount 2 different families with same names etc.

When I had a tree on here, some years ago. I kept being contacted by people regarding my London based family, who lived 'oop North'

There was a family with parents and children, identical ages and names. It was truly uncanny. Though mine had a couple more children. :-S

Julie

Julie Report 20 Jul 2014 12:59

Just seen this post, I have come across examples of couples married on the same day or a day or 2 apart at different religious locations - usually Cof E & non-conformist. Whilst in some cases this is because at the time the non-conformist marriage would not have been fully recognized, I have 3 cases post 1837 where there are 2 marriage certs for the same couple, 1 for the CofE church & 1 for a an RC church or Methodist chapel.
Julie

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 Jul 2014 23:55

Here's 2 pairs of lookups on FS - thet're my g grandad's uncle and grandparents

Robert Slessor
Scotland, Marriages, 1561-1910
marriage: 14 December 1850 Cruden,Aberdeen,Scotland
spouse: Jane Arthur

Robert Slessor
marriage: 19 December 1850 Ellon,Aberdeen,Scotland
spouse: Jane Arthur

William Slessor
marriage: 23 December 1820 Old Deer,Aberdeen,Scotland
spouse: Christian Slessor

William Slessor
marriage: 21 December 1820 Longside,Aberdeen,Scotland
spouse: Christian Slessor

In each case, they were wed on the later date in the bride's home parish, and the other record is actually the calling of banns in the groom's home parish.