Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

evacuees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

rottie

rottie Report 2 Jul 2014 22:32

does anyone know of a site or register tha tlists were evac were sent or any other details pls tia

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Jul 2014 22:54

Would that be during WW2?

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 2 Jul 2014 22:56

Have you tried googling ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2014 08:19

Would doubt that that exists now

Would be doubtful it would be online if it still exists anyway

Think of the thousands who were evacuated . I was one of them together with siblings

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2014 08:21

This is what the national archives say

Looking for records of an evacuee

Finding personal records of evacuees is not easy as no central government files were kept.
Local archives are the best place to start if you want to know about individuals who were evacuated. For example, they might have records from the schools that were evacuated or the schools that the evacuated children attended in their new homes.
Local authorities may have records relating to the arrangements for children being evacuated to their area.
Some central government files relating to the policy of evacuation have been kept and can be found at The National Archives.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 3 Jul 2014 13:05

Since many children were evacuated with their school, it may be worth looking for the records of that particular school/s - if you know of them. There MAY be some mention of evacuees in records such as the Headmasters Log Book or similar IF they survived .
School records are likely located at the County Records Office or local reference library.
Otherwise it's a case of googling your fingers off :-D

P.S.
What area or city are you looking at?

rottie

rottie Report 3 Jul 2014 13:56

thank you everyone for ur help

karen in the dessert

mum was living in kilbur/hammersmith area when evac she was 6/7yrs
dont no name of school n now no longer here to ask

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 3 Jul 2014 15:39

And some children were not evacuated with the authority or the school. Some may have gone to stay with relatives.

My dad was evacuated to Horsted Keynes (Sussex) but spent most weekends in Bosham with his Aunt and Uncle.

He went with his school.

I think a lot depends on the area, school and the facilities available at the time to arrange the evacuations. And do not think all children from same area went to same places.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2014 17:25

I went to school with my elder brother and sister for a week so i could be evacuated with them through the school I was 2 years and 5 months old

we went to Kent from the SE area of London

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Jul 2014 11:32

we had an evacuee named Doreen - she came from Birmingham to Cardiff - have no idea what her surname was - she was about eight or nine, I was about five - because we lived a long walk from the school, Birmingham Council paid for a taxi to take us to school - she may still be alive and would love to know if she is still around

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 4 Jul 2014 16:49

rottie,

I think surviving school records for the area you are interested in would be with the LMA, but since you don't know the name of the school .... hmmmmm don't know what to suggest.

For general information there's a lot stuff available on-line, but the BBC HIstory websites are particularly helpful
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/britain_wwtwo/evacuees_01.shtml