Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Posting in right section?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eames

Eames Report 22 Jul 2014 18:46

Hi,

Its been few years since I was board member (I've just subscribed again) and wondered where would I post any look up offer? Its still in Find Ancestors or its not right place/not allowed?

Regards,

T
(was T in Middlesex)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jul 2014 19:13

Not sure what you are asking

Are you wanting some look ups done or are you offering look ups ?

patchem

patchem Report 22 Jul 2014 19:16

They are offering look ups:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1269312

Always think it is more friendly to work together, which is what the boards are for, surely?

jax

jax Report 22 Jul 2014 19:26

There is not much point in posting offering look ups as there is very little for the regular members to do as it is.....unless you are offering something that no one else has??

If you do start one then don't be surprised if others join in if they also have access to the same info

I had one myself four years ago....lasted 3 months before someone reported it....but back then there was a lot more going on anyway

Eames

Eames Report 22 Jul 2014 19:35

Ahh so there's no point in me offering? Looks like I've wasted re-subscribing lol

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jul 2014 19:35

I see!!

So us regular members who have been doing look ups for some time are being pushed aside .

Surely it's more friendly for helpers to look at enquiries and offer their help where they think they can . We too have taken subs to other sites that we use to help other members .

It's a bit unfriendly to my mind :-(

Eames

Eames Report 22 Jul 2014 19:44

Sorry Shirley if I sounded ungrateful.

Jax, I used to do loads of look up by offering to do so in my own topic and never minded others who wanted to help as well.

I have noticed that none or hardly anyone offers it now.

Gawd, I've been away farrrrrr too long to catch up with news & new stuff.

Never mind, sorry I asked x

jax

jax Report 22 Jul 2014 20:24

No as I said there is not much point now as hardly anyone posts asking for help.

There used to be pages of new requests each day, now we are lucky to fill one

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Jul 2014 06:13

I think, to be fair, as more information has become readily availably on-line the need for researchers to ask for look-ups has dropped considerably.

Most requests nowadays are either from those wanting a second pair of eyes, or for the occasional lookup for a rarely needed database they don't subscribe to.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Jul 2014 13:01

IGP is correct. And if you subscribe or buy any of the Family History magazines around, they also tell you how to find things out for yourself.

People are becoming more computer savvy all the time.

If you do want to help. Why not try ROOTSCHAT, its FREE to join and is a forum site like this, without the trees.

There are lots of specific threads on their from Beginners, Counties, Countries and a myriad of others. For me I had excellent help on the WW2 thread, where I posted a couple of photos my father 'acquired' of a German Pilot and his plane, they were amazing, someone was even able to tie the photo down to not only the year, but the month and gave a possible date.

It is well worth a look. :-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 23 Jul 2014 13:11

I remember T in Middlesex! *waves* :-D

It's dead slow and stop round here these days for all of the above reasons. It's really a case of just seeing what pops up and then seeing if you can help to be honest.

Hope you're well........... :-D

jax

jax Report 23 Jul 2014 13:26

More often than not the people who post on look up threads have already got a thread of their own, they then see someone offering and hope they have a magic wand and can find what no one else has been able to

Eames

Eames Report 23 Jul 2014 16:08

*waves at Cynthia* Hellooooooo :) I remember youuuuuu !

Yes, I've noticed new changes and the likes, pity really because it was the hub of my day to jump in to help. I'll stick around and help whenever I can ;)

I'm good ta, I dont live in Middlesex anymore - I moved to Hastings in April this year so now I can offer Hastings area lookup if need from any site/people.

How you're keeping? Nice to see few familar faces still on here :)

T ;) x