Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Search Trees - odd results

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Sep 2014 23:19

Is there a known fault with the Search All Members Trees function.?

Trying to help a friend sort families, I used the search to look for BELCHAMBER born Sussex.

Page 1 shows me all manner of results, with very varied surnames, eg. WEAVER, ..MONK,..HUDSON, ..BRITTON

What's going on?

Gwyn

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 28 Sep 2014 00:36

Do not adjust your set. Normal confusion will be resumed as soon as possible.

I have just tried surname only (with double L ) without a forename and got a mixed bag. That's progress.

B

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Sep 2014 00:46

So it's not just me then......

I'll have to try a few more 'surname only' searches.
I can't imagine the results......................

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Sep 2014 00:59

Interesting..

I tried a few other surnames.

The problem seems to be worst if I search surname only born Sussex.

If I change county to Kent, results are not so random.

Does anyone else get the same results?

Gwyn

Thelma

Thelma Report 28 Sep 2014 11:49

Click on the heading "surname" then do it again.Names now in alphabetical order.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Sep 2014 20:27

Reply from Support says.......

'If you include variants when searching for a surname this will return results like you have described.'

I would have thought it was reasonable to request results from one area,but what do I know?

Gwyn

jax

jax Report 29 Sep 2014 23:40

Do GR know what they are talking about? I dont think they do

There is no option to include variants when searching trees

There is when searching through the records.....even so you should'nt get those names.....in what way were they alike?

I got the same results as you.....A load of rubbish

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Sep 2014 20:53

Thelma,
Thank you for that tip.
I don't know why my search brings such odd results.

jax
I didn't understand the variant bit in their reply either.

Another message has been sent to support seeking clarification.
I await their reply........

Gwyn

Kense

Kense Report 1 Oct 2014 08:22

I just tried a search and got similar results i.e. several entries with unrelated surnames.

I also tried first and second names of people in my tree and often got one surname that did not match.

What I did notice was that when there were a lot of mismatches, the same tree owner names occurred several times. (e.g. searching Prout born in Cornwall, nearly all (mismatched) entries were owned by Philip or Oztricia.

Kense

Kense Report 1 Oct 2014 18:46

I have also found that searching different surnames in different counties often produces results including the same tree owners across the counties.

That does seem to suggest that it may be a limited number of trees that are producing these anomalous results, otherwise the chance of finding the same owners in different searches would be very small.