Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Ancestry look

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 28 Sep 2014 12:01

I cannot get the hang of Ancestry with all its changes ,is there another way of getting the old search back,feel a bit ripped off as I paid all this extra money for ancestry world but I can't seem to work it .

Sue :-(

Gai

Gai Report 28 Sep 2014 12:08

Hi Sue,

I believe the old search function has been removed from Ancestry. I've just checked using my sub and there is no box there on the page to select the old search function.

Regards
Gai

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 28 Sep 2014 12:11

Hi Sue,

I had trouble at first when I could'nt get on to the old serch. I always seemed to find more on the old one.

Carry on trying and you should get the hang of it.

Mel

Who are you looking for?

Susan

Susan Report 28 Sep 2014 12:12

Hi Gai

Yes I knew the box has gone but I thought there may be a way of getting the searches to come up like they used to ,I hate the way it is now :-(

Thanks MFG,just doing my own tree for a while .

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 28 Sep 2014 12:13

can we help?

Maddie

Maddie Report 28 Sep 2014 12:20

hope i haven't read it wrong
on the search page there are 2 boxes
records - brings up all possible matches

catergories - brings up all census, bmd etc (old search ? )

maddie

Susan

Susan Report 28 Sep 2014 12:49

Sorry Maddie but I do not have either of those names on my search page ,I am in OZ.

Sue :-)

jax

jax Report 28 Sep 2014 13:42

I cannot understand why people expect something to last forever.

As far as I am concerned Ancestry has not changed at all (well not much) and I have been using it for almost 5 years

When they bought out the 'New Search' all those years ago did you not expect the 'Old search' to go?

They have changed the searches on here and FMP and people are up in arms about it.....why?? technology has progressed over the last 10 years or so....so we have to progress with it

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 Sep 2014 14:37

BUT the New search facility is rubbish and the OLD was a lot better

Yes I know hat things have to change but they are not always for the best.

FMP has also mucked up their site by all the so called improvements they have brought in.

BUT this is just my opinion and the way I preferred the sites to operate.

Gee

Gee Report 28 Sep 2014 14:38

I'm with Jax re the changes there doesn't seem to be much difference but.....

When searching in a specific country, if you edit the search it defaults back to the UK

:-|

jax

jax Report 28 Sep 2014 14:42

I have never used the so called old search and never had problems with the search I am using...maybe its me

FMP was a bit ropey when they first changed it.....but is fine now as far as I am concerned

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 28 Sep 2014 14:45

GlitterBaby, I agree.

The London Gazette "improved" its Search facility and now I can't find anything!!

A couple of other sites I use have done the same :-( :-( :-( and now BT Mail have "Upgraded" their site and it looks awful!!

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 Sep 2014 19:27

Jax,

No, it's not (just) you. I am 'fully paid up' on here and Ancestry.

I have just spent about an hour on Ancestry - searching for records to add to my GR tree. I do like the COLLECTION drop-down which, coupled with the Update button, makes for speedy searches.

Andrew

Andrew Report 28 Sep 2014 21:38

If you hover your mouse over your user name, one of the drop down boxes is 'Site Preferences'. Click this and scroll down to the bottom and there is a tick box which says 'simulates old search'.

I haven't tried it and don't know how it works, but it is there if you want to try it......

I still don't like the new search, gives far too many hits even using exact.

Andy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Sep 2014 01:46

I have used ancestry since 2004 .................... and notice little change from the old, as long as you do the following:--

Go to Advanced Search

Click on Match All Terms Exactly

Make sure Collection Priority is set to the country you want ........ eg, UK and Irish

That the tab at the top right of the results of your search is set to CATEGORIES, and not to Records

The only things that you have to do every time you do a search is make sure you go to Advanced Search and click on Match all terms exactly

I get exactly the same results I was getting a year, or 5 years ago

Susan

Susan Report 29 Sep 2014 03:20

Andrew

Thankyou for your help it has worked a treat :-D

Thankyou everyone for your input :-D

Sue

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Sep 2014 11:05

I find when you are looking for births and put in the mums maiden surname it ignores that altogether

Maybe then the advanced search is the better way to do it ?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Sep 2014 16:23

I awlays use the 'advanced' search. That seems to be fairly close to the old search.

Could be worse, you could be trying the searching on the new 'improved' FMP!!!!!

jax

jax Report 29 Sep 2014 16:48

I did'nt think you renewed your FMP sub DC?

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 29 Sep 2014 17:11

I having difficulty with Ancestry too.
I'm with Gins on this, the automatic default is a pest, but has anyone attempted to export a gedcom recently?

I have a large tree and it used to take quite a while to download, but now it's almost instant and flies straight into the download folder.
I want to upload it to my desktop programme, which I have done many times before but I am failng miserably.
I even tried to upload it to GR but I get an error message stating that this cannot be done because it's from Ancestry??