Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birthplace.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 29 Sep 2014 15:51

I have a settlement notice for 1787 which states that my 4xGr.Grandfather was living a Parish on licence from another Parish.
Does this mean that he was born in the Parish from where he was licenced ?

Sheila

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Sep 2014 16:26

I don't know for certain but I would imagine that you are right in thinking that.

Kath. x

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 Sep 2014 10:15

Thank you Kath.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 30 Sep 2014 19:18

It is possible that he had gained settlement rights in the parish that issued the licence and hadn't actually been born there.

http://tinyurl.com/lmn8zr3
A person gained the right of settlement under the following conditions:
- A new born child took the father's settlement regardless of the place of birth.
- A parish apprentice from the age of seven who served and lived in the same parish for 40 consecutive days.
- A married trader or person renting a smallholding or farm who had stayed for 12 months, paid parish rates and rented property over £10 per year.
- An unmarried man who had worked for a year in the parish.
- A woman took the settlement of the man she married and a widow who remarried took the husband's settlement.
- Servants who stayed one year from date of hiring, and left with full wages.
- A person who inherited an estate of land and lived on the estate for more than 40 days

Chris

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 Oct 2014 10:08

Keith,
The settlement order was for the son of my 4xgr. grandfather and I know that he was born in that parish. It was the father I am trying to establish a place of birth for.

Thank you for your reply