Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 19 Oct 2014 16:28

If someone got divorced in the early sixties, would it be possible to obtain a record of their divorce, and if so what information such as address etc. would this be likely to give me?

Thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Oct 2014 16:34

TBH - I've no idea what would be on a recent ish divorce record.

Have a look here to find out how and what you can access (for a fee). Less than 0.2% of the case files survive although you might be able to track down the degree absolute.
The link is on the page.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/divorce.htm

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 19 Oct 2014 16:46

Thanks for the link DetEctive.

It would be handy to have an idea of what info one might find from the records before paying a fee, so if anyone knows . . . . ;)

Inky1

Inky1 Report 21 Oct 2014 15:22

[Certificate of making Decree Nisi Absolute (Divorce)]
Heading on the original handwritten 1967 document that I have:-
Full names of both parties, and the date and place of the marriage. No address.

But you only needed to Google.....

http://www.certifiedcertificatesuk.com/certificate-information.aspx

England and Wales DECREE ABSOLUTE Information
•Case Number/No of Matter (usually located in top right-hand corner)
•Court name
•The Family Court stamp (this was changed from the red court stamp on 22nd April 2014)
•Name of Petitioner
•Name of Respondent
•Name of Co-Respondent (if applicable and only if stated on divorce petition)
•Date and Place of Marriage
•Date the Nisi was pronounced
•Date Absolute was granted
•Standard notes statement

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 22 Oct 2014 18:29

Thanks Inky1 - doesn't look lie it would give much info then - and cost is £95 :-0

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Oct 2014 21:03

well, what kind of information were you wanting??

the nitty gritty of the reason?

Inky1

Inky1 Report 23 Oct 2014 09:59

The link that I posted previously (found on Google) also mentions £95. But if you look, you will see that there is a disclaimer - it is a commercial site.

https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

The true site - click through "request for search for decree absolute", then download the form D440. It states £65 for a ten year search. Hmmmph! The commercial site charges £30 for doing that form filling for you.

For the divorce decree that I have, I already knew the full names and the Church where they got married as I had the birth & marriage certificates. But if someone does not have that data, the divorce info. could have assisted.

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 23 Oct 2014 17:44

Thank you Inky1, you are very helpful :-)

SylvanianCanada - "well, what kind of information were you wanting??
the nitty gritty of the reason?"

As stated in my original post - I was really hoping I might get an address of one of the parties at the time of the divorce ;-)

Gee

Gee Report 24 Oct 2014 09:23

Hi

Depending on where they lived, there are some electoral rolls at Ancestry

If they have passed away, you could post the details on here, if not I'd be happy to take a look for you, you could PM me the details

:-)