Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

time of birth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 2 Nov 2014 16:16

hi
i have my birth cert but is there anyway i can find out time of birth?
parents are not alive to ask and they would not remember anyway? if they were here
many thanks :-)

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 2 Nov 2014 16:54

English certificates usually only give the time of birth on a certificate if there were twins, however in Scotland the time of birth is recorded on the birth certificate..

I can't think of any way of finding out the time of a birth if it hasn't been recorded or the parents are no longer around to ask!!

Joan.

Gillian

Gillian Report 2 Nov 2014 17:08

hi joan
thanks for the info and your help

regards

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Nov 2014 17:50

Do you have any aunts or uncles who might remember what time of day you were born? If there is no one in the family who might know then I don't think you will find out.

Kath. x

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 2 Nov 2014 19:08

If you were born in hospital it would be in their records, likewise if a midwife was in attendance at home it would be in hers.

If you can trace where any surviving records are held then you may well be able to get access to the information.

Good luck
Chris

Edit: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68
About your right to access to medical records

jax

jax Report 2 Nov 2014 20:28

I have to admit I cannot remember the exact time my children were born....and that was only 18 and 23 years ago....have a rough idea

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 2 Nov 2014 21:06

I can remember our 5 childrens times of birth,2 born in England,no times shown, the last 3 in Scotland with their birth times included on their birth certificates.

I did write their times of birth in their baby albums.

I once asked my mam what time I was born & she just said dinner time!
It was Christmas Day & a planned home birth, it caused some disruption in the house apparently!

Joan.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Nov 2014 21:26

I know the precise moment my son was born, but it isn't on his birth cert, obviously.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Nov 2014 01:02

all I know is that I arrived "in time for tea"

and I doubt the midwife's records are still available after all the years that have passed :-) .........

...... if indeed there was one in attendance

When did midwife attendance at home births become "usual", rather than mothers helping daughter or neighbours coming in??????????

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 3 Nov 2014 11:35

Certainly by the late 1950s Sylvia. First in hospital and as long as everything was normal then home births with midwife after that.

I was born at the exact time that the Today programme started on the Home Service, now Radio 4. Because of that I was interviewed on their 10th anniversary programme by the lovely, late Jack De Manio and if you google you will now know exactly how old I am :-D

Chris

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 3 Nov 2014 17:37

My older brother was born in a small Maternity hospital on the other side of the City from mams house,1939, then me in 1946 at home, mam had a nurse.

My younger brother & sister were born 1951 & 1952 & I can recall the midwife visiting mam at the house,she rode a bike,& being told that the nurse would one day soon bring me my new baby brother/sister in her black bag, hahahahaha.

Joan.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Nov 2014 17:51

I know my brother's wife gave birth in hospital in 1952, then at home for the second, and in a private nursing home for the 3rd

My OH was born in a private nursing home in a village near his home town, in 1938

I have no idea where his sister was born in 1946.

My brother and I were both born at home, in 1929 and 1940 respectively, Grandmother lived across the street.

No mention was ever made of who had delivered either of us, and I never thought to ask before Mum died in 1962.

patchem

patchem Report 4 Nov 2014 06:50

I never thought that the exact time of birth was important. (And it does depend on having an accurate clock or watch)

In fact, not really of any interest.

So that, 'in the early hours', 'lunch time' , 'after tea' says a lot about what we think was of interest on that day of birth.

But then, I do not believe in astrology and birth charts. :-)