Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I found out which public house.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fiona

Fiona Report 23 Dec 2014 21:38

.....my great grandfather Frederick Hague worked at? I am assuming it was in Kensington and Chelsea at the beginning of 1900.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 23 Dec 2014 22:25

Unlikely that you can find out. Unless he was live-in and still working there in the 1901 census.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Dec 2014 22:26

If he was a barman/cellarman I doubt very much you could find anything, Fiona,as these jobs were easy found.......if he held the licence , ie the landlord and anything major happened at the place that a report made the newspaper then there is a slim chance he is named,,,,,

A search of online London newspapers hasnt thrown his name up.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 23 Dec 2014 23:01

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
101, Finborough Road, Kensington, London, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Frederick Haig Head Married Male 25 1876 Barman Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Transcription
Charlotte Haig Wife Married Female 26 1875 - Paddington, Middlesex, England Transcription
Frederick W Haig Son Single Male 1 1900 - Kensington, Middlesex, England

Inky1

Inky1 Report 23 Dec 2014 23:46

I suspect that Fiona probably had that detail from the 1901 census. She was asking which public house. But he had not been a barman for long.......

21Nov1898 Frederick Hague 23 Fish-dealer,to Charlotte Jane Barton 23
Both names are in a GR tree.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 24 Dec 2014 10:29

I posted it for INFO, as very little had been given

And I managed to read the question Fiona asked, despite the lateness of the hour

Another change by 1911

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
12 Micklethwaite Road Fulham, Fulham, London, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship to household head Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
Frederick Hague Head Married Male 35 1876 Yorks Sheffield Porter Transcription
Charlotte Jane Hague Wife Married Female 36 1875 London Paddington - Transcription
Frederick Walter Hague Son - Male 11 1900 London Kensington School Transcription
Cecil Edgar Hague Son - Male 4 1907 London Fulham -

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Dec 2014 11:31

Given the address in 1901 that Jacqueline has posted, this is a possible

Finborough Arms, 118 Finborough Road

This is a useful site
http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/Kensington/index.shtml

Inky1

Inky1 Report 24 Dec 2014 13:57

RR
Thanks for that link.
One of my family groups were the Kensington area from 1830's to 1930's. On your link I note the King of Prussia was then at 55 High Street. Some 50 years earlier one of my family died in that pub. Cause of death shows as "Fell down at the Bar of the King of Prussia and died suddenly."
(Way to go!!!!!!!!!!)
The address was then No. 27. Likely that the pub did not relocate, rather that the High Street was renumbered.

Jacqueline,
Yes, info indeed. My first post was a direct comment to Fiona. But after reading your subsequent post I looked at the 1901 image. And then for the wedding. So this chap had three jobs in just over 12 years. I think that would be considered as 'par for the course' for a non-professional?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 Dec 2014 19:43

Hello Fiona and welcome to the Community boards.

(I'll let Fiona know that she has replies to her query) :-)

Fiona

Fiona Report 25 Dec 2014 20:07

Thank you for the information. I do have the 1901 census. I didnt realise he was previously a fish dealer. Thank you all I have other FB accounts but have not done genealogy for a few years now and accidently renewed my subscription on the wrong account.

Not sure If any GR people can help me with this.

Graham

Graham Report 25 Dec 2014 20:21

You could try emailing them. [email protected]. But I doubt if anybody at GR willing be working until monday.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 25 Dec 2014 21:04

Fish dealer is the wording on their marriage record. But as he was just 23 I would not read too much into that term.

The main trade of my Kensington group was fish, and in the various census returns they nearly all are listed as fishmonger (including the one mentioned previously). My handed-down records/letters/etc. show that there was at least one shop in the family, but that the fish were also hawked around the 'big houses'.

So I doubt that he was bulk buying at Billingsgate. More likely buying a tray-full, or even just a few, and hawking them.

Edit.
Within the trade, fish was sold by the stone. (14lb)

Fiona

Fiona Report 26 Jan 2015 10:41

Thank you all for your help