Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BAPTISM CERTIFICATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 30 Dec 2014 23:21

Hi everyone
I am trying to find a copy of my son's baptism certificate. I can find details of his birth no problem but as he was christened in a free church on a naval base say they have no records. Can anyone suggest how I can find this certificate.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2014 23:39

Welome to the Boards Ann.

Were you aware that the Christening was entered into a Ledger?

As you say it was a 'Free Church' presumably it wasn't aligned with any particular denomination. Was it the Naval Base who have no records, or have you managed to contact the Church?

Googling for it or its associated umbrella organisation might be the way forward.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Dec 2014 23:56

Hello, Ann.

Was your son's christening before 1998?

If so, see this page from the National Archives website:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/birthmarriagedeatharmedforces.htm

It mentions the following:

"Royal Navy Chaplaincy records of baptisms, marriages and burials (1845-1998)

Browse in ADM 338 for registers of baptisms, marriages and burials by the Chaplain of the Fleet. These will mostly cover Royal Navy personnel but can also include civilians of any nationality."

More generally -
was a certificate issued at the time? Or have you never had one?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Dec 2014 00:09

PM sent to Ann to let her know how to return and reply on her thread.

Ann

Ann Report 1 Jan 2015 12:29

Thank you very much for the above. I am making enquiries and will let you know what I find.