Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 12 Jan 2015 09:14

A bit of help please.

Once a line has been traced back to pre BMD and census records am I correct in thinking that the major source of going any further is parish registers?

It is just that once this stage has been reached there is no way of cross checking ones findings in a parish register.

For example I have traced a line back to a Robert Knights getting married in Wellingham on 5/11/1810. There is no trace of him in any subsequent census records so I assume that he died pre 1841. There is also no trace of a Robert Knights showing in the Wellingham baptism records.

I have looked at a few nearby parish records but if I find the baptism entry of a Robert Knights how can I cross reference that this is my one?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Jan 2015 09:19

County Norfolk
Place Wellingham
Church St Andrew
RegisterNumber 15
MarriageDate 05 Nov 1810
GroomForename Robert
GroomSurname KNIGHTS
GroomCondition Single
BrideForename Anne
BrideSurname STRINGER
BrideCondition Single
WitnessOneForename Ann
WitnessOneSurname STRINGER
WitnessTwoForename Peter
WitnessTwoSurname STRINGER
Notes Bride signs X

Baptism
County Norfolk
Place Wellingham
Church St Andrew Tr
RegisterNumber 1
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 23 Jan 1813
Forename Anne
FatherForename Robert
MotherForename Anne
FatherSurname KNIGHTS
FatherOccupation Glover

Baptism
County Norfolk
Place Wellingham
Church St Andrew Tr
RegisterNumber 12
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 15 Jan 1815
Forename William
FatherForename Robert
MotherForename Anne
FatherSurname KNIGHTS
FatherOccupation Glover

(above from below free link, if anything else on there!)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Chris :)

Burial
County Norfolk
Place Thornham
Church All Saints
RegisterNumber 481
BurialDate 13 May 1848
Forename Ann
Surname KNIGHTS
Age 63
Abode Thornham

(if Mother, looking at 1861 Son William in Thornham)

John

John Report 12 Jan 2015 09:53

Thanks for the information. I have all those details though. It was mainly this point that I was interested in.

I have looked at a few nearby parish records but if I find the baptism entry of a Robert Knights how can I cross reference that this the one I am looking for?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Jan 2015 10:00

Do you have his Death/Burial for a rough idea of his age...not seeing a Burial on above, perhaps he was from another County, could also be name variant.

Chris :)

Kense

Kense Report 12 Jan 2015 10:36

The Masteclass article in the latest Lost Cousins newsletter is worth reading for pre-1837 research.

http://lostcousins.com/newsletters/jan15news.htm

John

John Report 12 Jan 2015 13:17

Thanks I'll give that a read.

Regarding the date of death. That is something else that I cannot be sure on.

I have found a Robert Knights who died 10/4/1819 age 28 registered in Foulsham. His age would tie in with his likely age at the time of his marriage, but this date of may or may not be him there is no way of cross-checking.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Jan 2015 14:35

If you are in the area could you check graveyards around Foulsham to see if there is a headstone for the Robert Knights who died in 1819? It's a bit of a long shot but I was able to tie a death in with my family by other information that appeared on a headstone.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 13 Jan 2015 03:43

do you trace your line to Robert and Anne through son William or daughter Anne or someone else?

William appears to be in Thornham in 1841 with wife Mary, and in Thornham in 1861 and after with wife Ellen and children

at Freereg there is child Charles Robert born 1837, father shown as shoemaker, and died in infancy, then child of same name born in 1840, mother Mary Creed

William in 1861 is a shoemaker - and parish clerk :-)

what I was looking for there and at familysearch was a possible remarriage for widowed mother Anne after that 1819 death which could indicate it is the death of the right man

or whether Anne might have been with an adult child in an early census

or of course a death for Anne ...

but no luck so far

John

John Report 13 Jan 2015 08:51

I traced the line through son William.

I have traced that Ann Knights died 10/5/1848 age 63 in Thornham widow of Robert Knights.

I cannot find her in the 1841 census though.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 13 Jan 2015 10:16

Connected?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1348465

John

John Report 13 Jan 2015 14:17

Yes