Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Haydock/St Helens Cemetery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 20 Jan 2015 22:43

Hi

Iam trying to find out the names of cemetery's in the Haydock area. The person's grave iam looking for is a Michael Carlon died Oct Q 1921 the address at death was
31 Station Road, Haydock,St Helens, he was Roman Catholic.

Anyone live in the area that could help,

Thank You

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Jan 2015 23:38

Have you googled ?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jan 2015 00:09

Could he have been buried in a churchyard rather than a cemetery?

This is the only cemetery that seems to come up for me in a google search:-

St. Helens Crematorium
Rainford Rd, WA10 6DF
Tel: 01744 677406

There is also a Catholic church:-

Saint Mary's and St. John's Catholic Church Newton Le Willows.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Jan 2015 15:38

Try Yellow Pages. There are 19 listed near Haydock, although some are quite a long way away.

http://www.yell.com/

Maureen

Maureen Report 21 Jan 2015 15:47

Thank you all for reply will follow up the leads.

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Jan 2015 19:14

http://www.sthelens.gov.uk/deceasedsearch
only turns up 1 Carlon, viz:

Deceased detail
SurnameCarlon
ForenameJane
Death date00 / 00 / 0000
Burial date15 / 07 / 1933
LocationNewton Le Willows Cemetery
Register Number7198
Age61 Years

Grave detail
Grave referenceNEWTON / C / 2381

Maureen

Maureen Report 21 Jan 2015 20:31

Thank you for your reply,

I have ordered a copy of his death cert today, hopefully it may give me more information, that will lead to a place of burial.

I am trying to follow up other Carlons in area so your info will be helpful, its not a common surname.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 22 Jan 2015 13:45

If you would like help with them, you need to give first names and birth years, and say what you know, so that we don't look for info which isn't needed.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 22 Jan 2015 13:46

The death cert won't tell you anything you haven't posted above.....at least not in connection with his place of burial (or cremation, of course)

What you need to do is locate the address on a map, then look for cemeteries nearby

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Jan 2015 15:17

Here are the details for the Roman Catholic church in Haydock.

BLESSED ENGLISH MARTYRS
Piele Road, Haydock
Tel (01942) 727005
Address Rev Thomas J Kennedy
English Martyrs’ Presbytery
Piele Road
Haydock
St Helens
WA11 0JY

However, I don't think they have a churchyard.

Also, checking on Freebmd, the name is not really as unusual as you think.

If you google 'Carlon - Haydock', you will find that someone called 'Murph' has asked a lot of queries re this family.

Hope this helps.

Maureen

Maureen Report 22 Jan 2015 19:11

Hi all,

Thank you for replies

Iam trying to help out Murp, he is in USA, his father was born in 1921,the address on passenger list to US of childs father, in 1923 was 31, Station Road Haydock. Mother and child didn't go to USA until 1925.they were John Murphy and Annie Carlon.

Annie Carlon whose family Murph is interested in tracing was daughter of Michael Carlon died 1921 Warrington Reg Dist. I have ordered the death cert hopefully it may contain his home address, the Warrington Burial serv. say they need the date of death to search if he was buried/ crem, in Warrington, or else can be done by person by appointment but iam not close by.

I was looking to see if any Carlon's were in the area at the 1900 plus time, I do know Michael Carlon was born in Kiltimagh, Co Mayo Ireland, In Irish census there is no family left in that Townland area.

I will contact the church above perhaps they have a burial register.

Thanks
Maureen

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 22 Jan 2015 22:35

If the jane who died in 1933 was his wife (marriage 1907?) then it might be worth trying Newton-le-Willows where Jane is buried.

Though in the 1911 census they did not have a daughter Annie nor was Michael born inn Ireland. What was Michael's occupation?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Jan 2015 04:02

Have you tried finding obituaries in local newspapers???

They usually give the burial place

Maureen

Maureen Report 23 Jan 2015 12:01

HI

Michael Carlon was married in 1891 to Catherine Hughes, I have found the marriage in 1891 in Kiltimagh Co Mayo,they must have come to England sometime before census of 1901. he is a Hewer Miner,

Michael and Catherine appear in 1901 census, Newcastle under lyne with youngest daughter Ann b 1900 Newcastle under lyne, moved by 1911 living in Ashton in Makerfield Margaret youngest child is listed born there 1909. Catherine Hughes Carlon died 1918 Warrington Dist, reg. I have not got her death cert.

I have not tried local newspapers as I don't live in the area, think you would have to visit a library with archieve papers.

maureen

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Jan 2015 20:38

There is an RC church in Ashton-in-Makerfield
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Ashton-in-Makerfield/stedmund/index.html
It's abt a mile from Haydock Racetrack. The track is at the E end of Haydock - one of those villages that was strung out for 3 miles along the main road there

Using http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/
Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1908
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
CARLON Bridget Agnes Ashton Wigan & Leigh HUGHES ASHT/57/215

Lancashire Death indexes for the years: 1908
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
CARLON Bridget Agnes 0 Ashton Wigan & Leigh ASHT/30/157

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1910
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
CARLON Margaret Ashton Wigan & Leigh HUGHES ASHT/60/175

If you want the GRO refs for those, they are:
Births Mar 1908 (>99%)
Carlon Bridget Agnes Wigan 8c 183

Deaths Jun 1908 (>99%)
CARLON Bridget Agnes 0 Wigan 8c 81

Births Mar 1910 (>99%)
CARLON Margaret Wigan 8c 171

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 23 Jan 2015 23:27

Many local newspapers have their own archives....................

Maureen

Maureen Report 24 Jan 2015 00:08

I spoke today with the parish priest of RC Church of Blessed English Martyrs. He tried his best and looked for the register for 1921 but couldn't locate it. He was very kind, he said it was the only catholic church in area, but at the time I was seeking it could be possible the burial was at a Church of England Cem.

I will wait now and see what appears on the Death Cert.

Thank you mgnv for index of births, i do know all 4 children ended up in USA 1923 onwards.

Maureen

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Jan 2015 01:46

don't be so defeatist!!

lots of us "don't live in the area" we are researching!!

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

a subscription site, but you can search for free, and then decide if you want to buy some credits.

Look online to see if there is a Local Studies and Archive Centre.

If so, contact them, ask if they have local newspapers either archived, microfilmed or digitised, and could they search for an obituary or death notice

Look online for the local library, and ask the same questions as for the the above

There may be a charge for the last 2, but many places will do it for nothing