Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how much is a marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

natalie

natalie Report 2 Feb 2015 16:10

certificate from the register office, I have looked on the south shields site but found it confusing, so many prices, thank you nat.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Feb 2015 16:16

From GRO it's £9.25 inc P&P and will take roughly 7 days to arrive. That does vary according to how busy they are
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

There is an 'Express' service at about double the cost or more, but for normal purposes the standard service suffices.

Local registry offices are normally a bit more expensive and fit in certificate issuing around actually registering B M & D.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Feb 2015 16:18

http://www.southtyneside.info/article/7653/Register-Office-Fees says £11.50. It's cheaper from GRO.

natalie

natalie Report 2 Feb 2015 16:23

Thank you Detective. nat.

Fiona

Fiona Report 2 Feb 2015 16:49

I ordered 2 recent death certificates from Milton Keynes and they were £11.00 each. I couldn't order them from the GRO as they happened in the last 3 months.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Feb 2015 19:42

Note that the last time I ordered certificates from a local office was back in 2005 ................... and I know that things might have changed (maybe they take credit cards now :-D )

Back then, I had to ...............

provide a stamped addressed envelope of a certain size ............... impossible for me, as we do not have A4 envelopes nor UK stamps

I had to provide a cheque for cost of certificate + postage for each certificate ............ impossible for me, as I do not have a UK bank account

I had to .................

go to the bank and get a money order in UK £ ............... including a bank charge

I had to go to the store and buy 1 envelope as close to A4 as I could find ................ bought individually at a higher cost because "special" size

A certificate that then was supposed to cost £10 + postage, ended up costing me the equivalent of £20

GRO's cost is the same worldwide, and you can charge it to a credit card.

In addition, I understand that a number of record offices are not issuing bmds for genealogical research

natalie

natalie Report 2 Feb 2015 20:37

Thank you Fiona and sylvain . I have managed to order to nat.