Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

corrupt tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 18 Feb 2015 14:41

hi

can anyone help ? I recommended a friend to use Genes for her family tree. everything has been going well for her and then when she tried to import a tree from ancestry her tree crashed. this happened 3 weeks ago and she has been emailing Genes support for help to resolve this but all she gets is an automated reply. My friend can't use her tree at all it just goes round on the timer and does not appear at all. has anyone else experienced this? as when I have had problems in the past they have responded and sorted any problems out very quickly. I am a bit embarrassed as I did highly recommend Genes and they don't seem to be interested in helping.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Feb 2015 14:46

Contact support and complain

If you or your friend have Facebook access, put it on the GR page on there - they'll take more notice of that

Having said that - is it actually possible to import a tree directly from another site?

Isn't the correct procedure to create a gedcom, import it to your own computer, then import from there to GR?

I don't have a tree on here, so have no experience of the facility, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that that's the correct way to do it

Is your friend the one who is looking for her son?

That lady has been having problems, according to posts on her thread

Graham

Graham Report 18 Feb 2015 14:50

You could try sending a pm to Shelley (the Community Manager). She might be able to chase things up for you.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Feb 2015 14:51

You'll find a link to the Community manager on the Suggestions board

Karen

Karen Report 18 Feb 2015 15:49

Okay thank you ?? much appreciated.
My friend did a gedcom file to her desktop and imported it that way

Kense

Kense Report 18 Feb 2015 16:45

The GEDCOM import and export facility is not working at the moment. GR have said they are looking into it.

Kense

Kense Report 18 Feb 2015 17:05

It hasn't been working since at least the 4th Feb, as reported in another thread.

I tried an import on 10th. That did not complete, so I made sure GR knew about it and they responded thus:

"There is currently an issue with Gedcom's and our tree expert is dealing with this and we are awaiting an update.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused."

Karen

Karen Report 18 Feb 2015 19:08

That's more than my friend got.
GR just told her they were looking into it
Thank you though