Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone seen this happen?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 5 Mar 2015 20:10

I have a couple, both mid forties, married 25 years or so with no children. Would have been regarded as a 'respectable' family Out of the blue a child appears and is registered as their own, born at home address. I find this rather odd given their ages etc. Both had younger unmarried sisters and I strongly suspect that this couple 'adopted' a child of one of these sisters. No way to prove anything either way but given the time(1900's) a birth out of wedlock would have been highly frowned upon.

Andy

patchem

patchem Report 5 Mar 2015 20:16

It may be highly suspect, but it does happen.

I knew a couple who adopted, not after 20 odd years, but some time, and then conceived twins.

Added:
Or do you mean does it happen the other way? Yes, lots of children think that grandmothers are their mothers

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Mar 2015 21:59

Depends what proof was needed at the time to register a birth .

If none then yes they could have taken over a child from birth and registered themselves as the parents . There,s no way of proving it one way or the other.

In those days babies were born at home with sometimes a local non qualified lady as the midwife.

Later on in NHS times the midwife and or hospital had to fill in forms a copy of which was sent to the registrar and matched up with the form the informant had been given BUT this was NHS paperwork. Before then maybe no paperwork was done

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 5 Mar 2015 22:06

How old was the mother?

patchem

patchem Report 5 Mar 2015 22:09

From Andrew's post:
'I have a couple, both mid forties, '
so mother was in her mid forties, surely?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 5 Mar 2015 22:16

Oh dear, silly me, I missed that (I wish I was really smart)

So she was probably still of child-bearing age

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Mar 2015 11:28

Who knows how many children they may have had that didn't survive ,she may have miscarried or had still births before the arrival of the baby that did survive