Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Merging trees?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 12 Mar 2015 22:46

Please can you help. I'm new on here and after 2 days found that someone else's tree has ALL my ancestors as far back as 1705. Can the trees be merged easily or copied somehow or does it have to be done manually? Thank you

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Mar 2015 23:06

No you cant merge other trees to yours .

They could send you a gedcom to download BUT it overrides ALL your tree you have on here so you may lose info on the side its doesnt cover

jax

jax Report 13 Mar 2015 01:18

Welcome to the boards Dawn

It is not a good idea to copy someone else's tree unless you have checked the details yourself...

Couple of my 2nd cousins have trees on ancestry... One has the wrong gt gt grandparents and has gone back a few generations adding children marriages ect which are not correct, she did ask me a couple of years ago why I had George and not william and explained I had got his name from the marriage cert for his son..... She still hasn't changed it :-(

So anyone coming along can quite easily copy hers (mine is private now) with a completely wrong family

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Mar 2015 03:04

Welcome Dawn

Never merge anyone else's tree with yours until you have checked it all out very carefully.

By all means take what they have as a guideline to your ancestors ...................... but never trust anyone else's work before your own.

We all have stories about other people who have trees with our ancestors on them .......... but that are completely wrong!