Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Olde" English

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 2 Jun 2015 14:58

I have found the marriage of my 10xGr. Grandfather in 1557, but I cannot decipher the surname of his bride. I have been able to read her first name which was Agnes.
Unfortunately I cannot get to the County Records Office where someone may be able to read the entry.
This is really frustrating because I think that I would be able to find her christening in the Parish Records.

Sheila

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Jun 2015 15:45

Where did you find the record?

Is it online so others could take a look and hopefully help with deciphering.?

Gwyn

Sheila

Sheila Report 2 Jun 2015 17:02

I found it on the Parish Records on another site "anc".

Richard Bosworth m.23 October 1557 Great Packington, Warwickshire.

Sheila

Thelma

Thelma Report 2 Jun 2015 17:10

I cannot read it but transcribed:-

Name: Agnes Helgne
Marriage Date: 23 Oct 1557
Marriage Place: Great Packington, Warwickshire, England
Spouse: Richard Bosworth

Sheila

Sheila Report 2 Jun 2015 17:13

Thelma,

Thank you I have seen that transcription but am not too sure about it.

Sheila

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 2 Jun 2015 18:33

The record states 'Agnes *** ye daughter of John ***' and Katheryn, and the second surname is a bit clearer. It looks like Kelynge (the first letter of the surname and the wife's christian name look the same to me).

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 2 Jun 2015 19:18

Could the surname be Keelinge? There are a large number of events fro this surname in the parish of Nether Whitacre which is only seven miles away

Sheila

Sheila Report 2 Jun 2015 19:32

BeverleyW,

To which entry does this refer?

Sheila

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 2 Jun 2015 20:18

Sorry SJR I don't know what you mean?
Ancestry has a photocopy of the original record. You said that you had found it yourself.

Ancestry's records for Warwickshire start in 1535 so if she married in 1557 it's borderline whether a christening will be found.

Sheila

Sheila Report 2 Jun 2015 21:41

BeverelyW

I had realised that she may have been born before 1535 but I was just hoping.

I have just searched the Christening entries for Great Packington from the first entry and could not see any entries with similar name on them.

I think that I will go to my Local library because I know that Great Packington Records are held there and perhaps someone can help me with the marriage entry and be able to transcribe the name on that.

Tank you