Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Manchester Prison Birth 1946

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennie

Jennie Report 15 Jun 2015 21:20

I have inadvertantly discovered, after getting a copy of my mums birth cert for her, that although she believed she was born at home before being taken into care, she was in fact born 1946 in the prison that is now strangeways in manchester. Would anyone know where I could get any information on this or if it is pointless trying due to it being quite recent as confidentiality goes?
Both her mother and father died many years ago and both she and her brothers were in and out of care homes most of their childhood until moving back into the family home as teenagers.
Many thanks in advance

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Jun 2015 22:07

Have you tried local newspapers from the time? Would there have been anything written about the case that saw your grandmother end up in prison? Local newspaper archives are often kept at the local reference library for the area.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jun 2015 23:14

Its possible that that Social Services still hold her case file. It may include the background to being taken into care.

If your mother is willing, she could contact them and ask for access. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Jennie

Jennie Report 16 Jun 2015 21:43

Thank you both, I had tried the internet for newspapers but could not find anything online and as I live in South London it would be a long journey to make if nothing there.. Also, my mothers older brother and younger brothers and sister were born in Canterbury in Kent, only my mother in Manchester so am exploring the possibility the crime may have occured in Kent and for some reason she was moved to Manchester? I never thought of Social Services, I will tell her to try that. Thank you both again ever so much for your help.
J x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Jun 2015 23:58

You could try emailing the main library in Manchester and see if they would look through the newspapers for you (although they may charge for this).

Kath. x