Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish records on line, right on schedule

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 8 Jul 2015 20:15

http://registers.nli.ie/

I've already found some of my 4 x great grandmother's family.
The records are hard to browse through and there are some annoying gaps, for example I can't find said 4 x great grandma's marriage because there is a gap between 1820 and 1838 :-(
Still, really interesting!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 8 Jul 2015 21:56

I have just had a go at finding my great grandparents' marriage, but I am finding the registers impossible to read. A pity, because it's great resource. Perhaps a magnifying glass would help? :-( :-(

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 8 Jul 2015 22:13

You can magnify the image.
Some of the early writing is really bad and some of the records are too dark or too pale.
I also noticed that on the fiche I was consulting, all the pages were marked 'Deaths' which threw me a bit, but in fact they are baptisms......
The worst drawback is that as usual, if you don't know where in Ireland your ancestors came from, you can't search for them on this site. There's no surname index.
But hey it's free.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Jul 2015 15:35

I have magnified it as much as I can.
I have played with the Contrast, which helped a bit.
I have tried inverting the colours, which sometimes helps, but not this time.

In this case, I do know where they came from, although the date of marriage is approximate.

I agree, a surname index would be useful, although my unusual surname is apparently quite common in Ireland!

I also assume, being Catholic, that the records are in latin, including the names.

I will have another go later - something as useful as this is not going to beat me.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 9 Jul 2015 21:18

I totally agree! I hate being beaten and will keep at it a page at a time!