Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mapperley hospital nottingham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 14 Jul 2015 21:29

hello all

can anyone tell me if there is any records for the above place

i have just found out that my grandmother was in this hospital in 1950

in 1950 was it still a hospital for insane people

i have looked on google i think it was still a hospital for insane people but would like some advice please

thank you

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Jul 2015 21:33

Nottinghamshire Archives hold records for Mapperley Hospital.

It says that patient records are on restricted access. You can contact them for more information:-

Tel: 0115 958 1634, Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
email: [email protected]
Write: Nottinghamshire Archives, Castle Meadow Road, Nottingham NG2 1AG

EDIT - When we were looking for records for my husband's grandfather (he was in a similar hospital in the north-east of England) we were able to get copies of his record and they even had a very small photo of him (we had never seen a photo of him before) so it is well worth trying to get access. I think each case is decided depending on circumstances.

Kath. x

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 14 Jul 2015 21:41

thank you very much kath

take care
lorraine <3

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Jul 2015 21:44

You're welcome. I hope they agree to let you have access to the records. Tell them it is purely for family history purposes. That's what we did and they were really helpful but I suppose it is different in each area.

Good luck.

Kath. x

malyon

malyon Report 15 Jul 2015 21:21

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=730

http://www.nottinghamhospitalshistory.co.uk/

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 16 Jul 2015 08:51

thanks malyon