Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death cert query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 18 Jul 2015 09:57

I have a copy of a death cert. for someone who lost contact with their family, although it's possible that they might have had a child (minor) at time of death.

The place of death is a hospital. The 'informant' has the same address as the hospital and their 'qualification' is described as 'occupier'.

Does this seem odd? Could the informant have been a hospital employee? Would it have been usual for a hospital member of staff to register a death?

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 18 Jul 2015 10:22

If there was no other family member around, I imagine it would be the chief resident officer of the hospital.

Rose

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Jul 2015 11:00

Not at all unusual for a death to be registered by a hospital employee

mgnv

mgnv Report 18 Jul 2015 11:27

In earlier times, it wasn't unusual for workhouse deaths, and occasionally births to be registered by the master of the workhouse, again qualified as occupier.

EDIT
In the very early days, the place of the event would be given as, say Wigan Union Workhouse, but towards the end of the 19th century, the more anonymous form 75 Frog Lane would be used.

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 18 Jul 2015 11:27

Thanks for your replies :-)

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 18 Jul 2015 11:29

This wasn't a workhouse death - it was as recent as 1984

mgnv

mgnv Report 18 Jul 2015 11:57

Yes, I know - you'd already said that. However, the principle's the same.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Jul 2015 12:02

Is there a different home address shown?

Could old electoral lists tell you if anyone else was resident there?

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 18 Jul 2015 12:06

Sorry mgnv ! - Hadn't realised I was repeating myself - can't find the date in my original post either - am I going totally mad :-S