Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on genealogy software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LaineyLou

LaineyLou Report 25 Jul 2015 10:18

Hi everyone,

I have been using Family Tree Maker since I started my family research in 2007. The first package was brilliant. I bought the upgrade in 2012 as I understood that the old version would no longer be supported. I hate the 2012 version and have never got to grips with it - it's so much more clunky and less user-friendly than the older version.

I've just bought a laptop so I can do more research 'on the go' and the latest version of Family Tree Maker is now out - I had considered upgrading again in the hope that it might be better than the 2012 version rather than copying across the software that I have and don't like to the laptop. However, having read some reviews it looks like the new version is even worse. I'm now thinking about starting again with another program and I thought this would be a better place to ask for opinions than on sponsored websites!! ;-) I've been reading up on Family Historian 6, which sounds pretty good - any thoughts? Also, a big concern for me is, can I safely migrate all my work across to a completely different program than just into updated software from the same package?

Grateful for your input, fellow researchers! :-)

Best wishes, Elaine

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Jul 2015 11:27

I've upgraded to FH6 from v5.

Its a very powerful programme with probably more facilities than you'll ever need (unless you are a techie!) Never having used any of the FTM programmes, I can't compare.

What I do like are the community pages on FHUG where knowledgable users can give advise to the less competent
http://www.fhug.org.uk/

Some of the FH users like to produce (free) downloads which compliment the purchased programme. eg Ancestral Sources for BMD and associated church records.

If you were interested, you could try out the 28 day trial version. No money or CC details needed. Just pick up the gedcom created by your FTM.

LaineyLou

LaineyLou Report 25 Jul 2015 17:11

Thank you, I appreciate the reply and it adds a tick to the box for me :-)